Under the microscope. Am I dealing with a parasite??? Or not?

Tristeli

Chirping
Jun 16, 2021
I’m frustrated. We’ve been in lockdown for winter storm heather and then indigo with arctic plunges. I posted on another thread about having received a juvenile pair of bantams in Dec that had been shedding intestinal lining since day1. The had been given a round of corid, a milk flush (per organic breeder), a round of enrofloxacin & meloxicam from a regular emergency vet. I just finished a second round of bird probiotics recommended on another site. I thought the pair was doing better, some shedding but nothing crazy or scary looking as the first few weeks. They run around acting like crazy birds eating drinking playing. The male loves to crow at the weather lady on tv.
The pics are from the female cecal yesterday evening. There’s more shedding this am (from both but it’s always mostly hers) than there was last week. I’ve been checking fecals myself weekly since the vet found nothing and I never see anything more than what’s pictured. IS it anything in the pictures?
I just don’t understand what could be causing the irritation if not a parasite-Protozoa …what did they come with or pick up their first day here (quarantined in house in a brooder) why is the female more affected? Only her fecals sometimes look as pictured-hot his. He just sheds lining occasionally. I know the pair came from different lines/parents at the farm and met in the box. They are orpington bantams.

Attachments

• IMG_8375.jpeg
    IMG_8375.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8376.jpeg
    IMG_8376.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8377.jpeg
    IMG_8377.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 6
This was them at arrival…and 5wks later.

Attachments

• 72497742093__703DD4A8-3CC7-44ED-B1C7-80907C697AAD.jpeg
    72497742093__703DD4A8-3CC7-44ED-B1C7-80907C697AAD.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8381.jpeg
    IMG_8381.jpeg
    588.4 KB · Views: 6
I'm currently looking at my Veterinary Parasitology Reference Manual going through microscopic photos of coccidia and different types of poultry worm oocysts, as well as protozoal parasites.
I havnt seen anything that comes close to your photos.
Intestinal shed is normally caused by coccidia or worms. Corid has been losing it's effectiveness. I recommend purchasing Endocox aka Toltrazuril which kills coccidia and is very effective. Follow the directions on the package label.
After treatment, provide your birds with plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk, you can mix it in their feed. Do not give your birds any treats nor goodies, only regular chicken feed during and after treatment.
Here's a link where you can purchase the Endocox (Toltrazuril)
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/endocox-powder

Ordered. Hoping for the best. I was also told to try panacur…effective against worms of course and supposed to be helpful with giardia. I do have metronidazole but being an antibiotic I wanted to have more than a spitball reason.

If no bug is there now could there have been one that cleared but left a bacterial component? They came from a strictly organic farm so I’m not sure if there were any parasite practices beyond corid in their environment. I know they had flooding and mud last year-calls for donations and such.

Whatever is causing it, the male is more effectively fighting it. He’s never just plopped a puddle of lining and eurates or cecals like pictured. It improved greatly overall but never has gone away. After the second dose of probiotics it’s as bad as it was weeks ago. Thus is where it started…

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...stinal-lining-for-weeks…what’s-wrong.1607426/

Hopefully your birds will drink the Toltrazural/water mixture after you give it to them.
The soil could be contaminated with coccidia oocysts, there's nothing you can do about that.
Dont give them anything containing thiamine during and after treatment.
Dont give them any other meds while giving them the Toltrazuril.
Hang on to the Metronidazole, it can be used to treat anaerobic bacteria. I just got through dealing with it in a few of my pullets with almost similar symptoms in your birds.

Back
Top Bottom