Underweight duck

Pics

tessandherducks

Songster
Jul 10, 2022
England, London
Hi all,
I have a almost 1 year old (born last September)female Muscovy sitting on 15 eggs at the moment and when I went to check on her I felt she was very skinny ( her keel bone is very prominent compared to my other Muscovites )
I have also noticed her poos are very runny and smelly. I have seen her eating and drinking very well.
She is washing and preening when of the nest well and is very normal within herself.

My ducks are on heygate country feeds duck and goose pellets mixed with corn and mealworms.
They also get watermelon, grapes and peas for a treat.

I'm hoping that it is something to do with her laying so many eggs or that she just isn't eating as much as normal because she is on the eggs? this is my first experience with a duck sitting on fertile eggs so I am not very experienced in that area.
None of my other ducks are skinny or having runny poo.

I am going to start weighing her daily to make sure she isn't loosing more weight.

Any help would be much appreciated 👍

Attachments

• 16904462951467126916072267588521.jpg
    16904462951467126916072267588521.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 422
It’s pretty typical of them to loose some weight when brooding. I just had a Muscovy hatch ducklings 6 weeks ago but honestly she didn’t feel much lighter than when she started. I’d add some vitamins to her water for an added boost. When is hatch day. It’s good to feed her the starter along with her ducklings the extra nutrients will help her get back her weight and get over the ordeal of brooding. Broody poop is nasty and disgusting.

I also just had a duck have babies 6 weeks ago
Mine got a bit skinny
Because she won’t be forging all day and may only come out a few times to eat she won’t be getting the regular amount
You can keep a separate bowl of feed and water in her area and add starter to feed to it to give extra protein
Then when babies are hatching switch fully to starter
Because they hold that poo in for so long when it comes out it’s like an explosion
Much looser and very smelly

Do you have an area blocked off where the other ducks can’t get to her and the new babies when they hatch ?
If not I highly suggest blocking one off
This helps to keep babies safe and be able to keep feed and water out 24/7 for them without the rest of the ducks getting into it creating a big mess
I normally don’t keep feed and water in my duck house but for babies they need it at all times

I also just had a duck have babies 6 weeks ago
Mine got a bit skinny
Because she won’t be forging all day and may only come out a few times to eat she won’t be getting the regular amount
You can keep a separate bowl of feed and water in her area and add starter to feed to it to give extra protein
Then when babies are hatching switch fully to starter
Because they hold that poo in for so long when it comes out it’s like an explosion
Much looser and very smelly

Do you have an area blocked off where the other ducks can’t get to her and the new babies when they hatch ?
If not I highly suggest blocking one off
This helps to keep babies safe and be able to keep feed and water out 24/7 for them without the rest of the ducks getting into it creating a big mess
I normally don’t keep feed and water in my duck house but for babies they need it at all times
yes, she is in a separate place and I have given her separate food and water.
I will buy some starter feed, she has only been on the eggs for about 5 days so still a while to go till they hatch.

yes, she is in a separate place and I have given her separate food and water.
I will buy some starter feed, she has only been on the eggs for about 5 days so still a while to go till they hatch.
Then I would do the starter feed mixed and vitamins in a separate little water dish
They won’t starve but if you can get her to come off a few times a day to make sure she eats would be good
My girl did it on her own
First thing in morning would stay off 1-1.5 hours then later afternoon for about 20 mins
All 6 hatched and were healthy babies
She had a door o would open in morning so she could come in and out as she needed and at night I would close the gate

Then I would do the starter feed mixed and vitamins in a separate little water dish
They won’t starve but if you can get her to come off a few times a day to make sure she eats would be good
My girl did it on her own
First thing in morning would stay off 1-1.5 hours then later afternoon for about 20 mins
All 6 hatched and were healthy babies
She had a door o would open in morning so she could come in and out as she needed and at night I would close the gate
I got her to come out this morning, I got a bruise from her biting me 😂.
I have ordered starter feed and I don’t have vitamins but have this poultry stuff that I add to the water (the picture below) is that ok?

I have also uploaded some photos of her this morning💗

Attachments

• 9A6CEEEC-107A-4B65-B0EC-935AADD4BC79.jpeg
    9A6CEEEC-107A-4B65-B0EC-935AADD4BC79.jpeg
    740 KB · Views: 15
  • 85D29FFC-E586-436E-B896-EB035E15F86C.jpeg
    85D29FFC-E586-436E-B896-EB035E15F86C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 69753154-80A1-4B13-8BFD-DFA1A359FE3A.jpeg
    69753154-80A1-4B13-8BFD-DFA1A359FE3A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • B76CB01E-6CC2-421A-8124-AA9651E348C7.jpeg
    B76CB01E-6CC2-421A-8124-AA9651E348C7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Whats in the poultry drink? Looks like good stuff. Hard to tell from here if she is skinny but getting her outside some to eat and drink and bath and poop is all good. I wouldn't put her food and water close by until hatch, that way she has to come out even if you have to make her.

Whats in the poultry drink? Looks like good stuff. Hard to tell from here if she is skinny but getting her outside some to eat and drink and bath and poop is all good. I wouldn't put her food and water close by until hatch, that way she has to come out even if you have to make her.
Back of bottles

one is just overpriced apple cider vinegar 😂

Attachments

• DF0B297D-2B8C-4BF7-9D6C-672DE0247FB5.jpeg
    DF0B297D-2B8C-4BF7-9D6C-672DE0247FB5.jpeg
    763.4 KB · Views: 13
  • C5B704C2-5CF1-4E63-8A77-40C5D21E3F13.jpeg
    C5B704C2-5CF1-4E63-8A77-40C5D21E3F13.jpeg
    531.2 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom