Unfriendly chickens

mt1987

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2017
Australia
I keep watching videos of chickens coming up to you for a cuddle or pat. However mine doesn't seem to like us at all (unless we have food). They want to be with us - we leave the back door open and they always want to be nearby but as soon as we walk towards them they run off.

Is there ways to get them more used to us touching/picking them up?

Last edited:
How old are your chickens? Did you raise them from chicks? Were they handled from a top access brooder by reaching down from above them? Did they react with fear when you would try to handle them from above?

This is how many new chicken keepers begin. It's the first mistake I made, and I have an eight-year old hen you still hates for me to touch her because she was so traumatized as a chick when I would grab them from a top access brooder box.

If they're still young, under six months, you can still try to gain their trust. It takes time and patience, but they should come around.

Just sit very still down at their level holding out treats in your hand. Make them take them from your hand. Don't toss the treat. Do this without trying to touch them. After a week, you may be able to stroke them on the breast when they eat from your hand. A week of that, and you may be able to get them to climb into your lap.

Never try to pet a chicken on the back, though. That area of their bodies is touchy to aggressive motions.

We didn't get them as chicks, one we got when it just started laying eggs and the other one is hasn't started to lay yet. Pretty sure is like 2-3 months old? They run away when I get close to them, I have picked them up and cuddled them every now and then, they seem to be getting more use to is.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try those :)

Back
Top Bottom