Unique or extra chicks from mypetchicken.com

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Megs501, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    in your experience- have you received extra or unique chicks with a small order (say ...6) of chick from mypetchicken.com? Just wondering if I can expect an surprises?! :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I can't speak on behalf of mypetchicken but many other hatcheries will either send an extra chick in case of DOA or sometimes they will send packing peanuts

3. Megs501

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Thank you! I will find out in a few hours. =) Should be here by 3:00pm Central time! woo hoo

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How exciting! Hope everything goes well

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I ordered 12 chicks from mypetchicken and I didnt recieve any extras. But I have heard of quite a few people talking about there "packing peanuts". It seems like they do it more for larger orders. Let us know how your babies are when they arrive :)

6. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    They say on their website that they do not pack extras. I have ordered several times from them.. i have never recieved extras.

7. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Ordered from them twice, never got extras. I've heard a lot of time that the extras you get are males so many people can't even keep them. I love roosters though, I wish I could keep more.

8. Adenium

Adenium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Connecticut
    This was why I ordered from them - the ability to get sexed bantams and a small order without packing peanuts. OK if you have a farm or willing takers locally....not so good in suburbia where you can't have a roo.

They have a minimum size based on shipping distance and include a heat pack when needed (instead of packing peanut males).

We'll see how lucky we get in a couple months.....

9. Megs501

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Ok, I was wondering what packing peanuts were, because surely they didn't put real packing peanut in with the babies! Haha I see now they're the male roosters. ;)

My babies didn't come in. :( which is weird since the tracking said "guaranteed by" today at 3:00pm. ...? Hope they're okay! I was sorta hoping for some extras, but do realize I don't want a roo here in the city. We live on a triple lot, almost as acre, but certainly can't have a rooster strutting around. (plus I have an 18 month old that would wake with him every morning!)

Thanks guys! I will post pics when they get here. Local post office said they should be there in the morning... We will see.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  10. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    I just placed and order of 7 chicks from MPC. They said they sometimes include 4% extra chicks, but the smaller the order, the less likely the extras. I kind of hope I get an extra though, just not a roo! Good luck with yours and I hope they arrive safely!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by