Unknown egg date - what is your experience?

noladq

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
My spring chicks just started laying but they went into an odd area that I didn't check regularly. I found four eggs there - the oldest they could be is 4 days (if only one of them has started laying). It's been upper 80's during the day, mid-40's at night. Would you toss them? I hate to waste food, but don't like the idea of getting sick!

Thanks!

4 days shouldn't effect the usefulness of the egg but if you're worried try the old float test. Put them in a cup or glass of warm water, if they sink they're good to go. I suspect they'll sink.

I've heard from tons that eggs are fine for up to a week on the counter. If they were out in the open where the chickens could sit on them and keep them going and you have a roo, it might have started to grow a chick too. It wouldn't be dev enough to really worry about since the hens don't let it dev much until they have 8-10 all together.

Like Wood said though, the float test is always the best way to check. If it's been out that long though, it is getting "old" so it is perfect for hard boiling.

I just toss them if I don't know how old they are. It's not worth it to me to accidentally crack open a rotten egg.
sickbyc.gif

Boy do you people waste a lot of eggs!!!
barnie.gif
Get over the USDA directed "eggs must be refrigerated" and eat your eggs. As I said above, if they sink, they're good. Even if the hen laid the eggs for setting it takes her at least a dozen before she'll start and, until she adds her 99.3-degree body to them, they will neither rot nor will the embryos start developing. If you don't want these older eggs fried or scrambled, at least boil them.

My dogs and cats have been the recipient of a few Hmmmm? eggs. Sometimes I boil 'em, sometimes I just crack them over the kibble. Every time I've cracked an "I wonder how old this is?" egg, I've been annoyed that I've given up a perfectly fine egg to the cats or dogs.

Now, don't think I begrudge the furry kids' consumption of eggs, not at all! They get the a few each week because I've dropped eggs, or clunked eggs held in my shirt "basket" against something and cracked 'em, all that. It's just that when I WORRY about a found egg and give it to the dogs/cats and discover I needen't have worried, I regret the loss of a perfectly good egg I could eat myself or sell to someone else along with 11 others.

They're much less perishable than one would think. Honest.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

The float test is very reliable if you're the leat bit worried that the eggs might not be good. Give that yours aren't more then a week old I wouldn't even bother with the float test myself, they're fine.

For those that just chuck them--I'll not argue that it's a waste, everyone has their own comfort levels but I would suggest boiling or scrambling them and feeding them back to the birds. It's a great high protien snack that they'll love and as long as you cook them first it won't cause any problems later with eating eggs in the nest box.

hmmm there's 3 answers I can give. I have eaten plenty of eggs that I found in hidden nests due to the fact I knew exactly who laid then and when-especially when my nesting boxes are empty! I go on a hunt around the property and usually find a nest of 10-20. When the weather has been up and down-those gets cooked for the birds. Hidden nests in coops-which I have found on occasion-we eat as I know the elements of rain and such havent gotten to them. Then there are those nests on the property that I find that have even taken the shapes of leave imprints they are so old -those I throw at a big tree :)

Back
Top Bottom