Unsure if Lice or Mites

Do you know how often I should be applying the Vaseline? I did one round on everyone last night. Then re-applied to my roo mid day since he looks the worse and then got everyone again tonight.. I assume that should be good for a few days?
I use cooking oil and dip the legs because it's easier than applying Vaseline. With that said, do it every day until the legs look completely clear. And I apologize for not answering your other question about VetRx...personally, I wouldn't waste it on scaly leg - just applying oil will do the job.

Hello! Update-

Everyone appears less “itchy” after week 1 of tx with permethrin. Re-dusted everyone last night. Also suspecting scaly leg mites so started tx for that using Vaseline. Has anyone ever had any luck with adding VetRx as well? Also, is it likely that everyone’s combs are pale due to this underlying mite problem? How long does it take to see improvement? Feeling guilty I didn’t catch this sooner and it’s the underlying reason my roo is seemingly “too chill” at times- he’s been suffering, along with the others to some extent. 🥺 however I am sure I am not alone in this and what matters is getting it under control now..

@Kanekoded @Wyorp Rock

Do you know how often I should be applying the Vaseline? I did one round on everyone last night. Then re-applied to my roo mid day since he looks the worse and then got everyone again tonight.. I assume that should be good for a few days?
Do you have photos of the legs and the birds?

I'd use vaseline, oil or NuStock cream for Scaly Leg Mites. Apply several time a week.
VetRx is a remedy similar to VicksVaporRub, it probably would not be an economical choice if you are treating a lot of birds. Likely it would work since its oil based, but I have not used it.

You've treated everyone for mites on the body with the Permethrin correct? Following up in 5-7day intervals and have also treated their housing too?
Paleness could be due to the mites. I'd get some vitamins into them. Poultry Cell is a good choice. Direct dose each bird at 1cc per 3pounds of weight a couple of times a day. Beef liver is also good to give it's rich in B vitamins, iron, etc., about 1tablespoon per bird a couple of times a week.

Do you have photos of the legs and the birds?

I'd use vaseline, oil or NuStock cream for Scaly Leg Mites. Apply several time a week.
VetRx is a remedy similar to VicksVaporRub, it probably would not be an economical choice if you are treating a lot of birds. Likely it would work since its oil based, but I have not used it.

You've treated everyone for mites on the body with the Permethrin correct? Following up in 5-7day intervals and have also treated their housing too?
Paleness could be due to the mites. I'd get some vitamins into them. Poultry Cell is a good choice. Direct dose each bird at 1cc per 3pounds of weight a couple of times a day. Beef liver is also good to give it's rich in B vitamins, iron, etc., about 1tablespoon per bird a couple of times a week.

Attachments

• 17C5A401-D564-4751-8D53-B698AC6AEDEC.jpeg
    17C5A401-D564-4751-8D53-B698AC6AEDEC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 71EFE8CC-E0A8-49D7-8F77-2315C829FA8D.jpeg
    71EFE8CC-E0A8-49D7-8F77-2315C829FA8D.jpeg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    817.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 2
Lots of pictures for you, lol. Clearly my roo’s legs look the worst. He’s missing feathers too on one side which doesn’t help. Everyone else’s legs look like they’re better even after just 2 days of Vaseline. Some of the girls have the red/pink discoloration on the backs of their legs a bit.

Let me know your thoughts 🙂

I'd keep up with the vaseline just like you are.

Combs are a bit pale, but could be due to a number of things, the mites, cold weather, dry skin, molting, etc. I'd see if they start to pink up as weather gets warmer and days get longer.

Some of the redness on the rooster's legs is due to irritation and feather loss, but some of it's likely hormones. The red/pink on the hen's legs are hormonal, meaning they are either in lay or getting ready to begin laying soon.

I'd keep up with the vaseline just like you are.

Combs are a bit pale, but could be due to a number of things, the mites, cold weather, dry skin, molting, etc. I'd see if they start to pink up as weather gets warmer and days get longer.

Some of the redness on the rooster's legs is due to irritation and feather loss, but some of it's likely hormones. The red/pink on the hen's legs are hormonal, meaning they are either in lay or getting ready to begin laying soon.
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. It is so greatly appreciated 🤗

Hoping they are getting ready to begin laying again. Haven’t had any eggs since just before Thanksgiving. Everyone is 3-4 years old. Will be getting new ladies this spring as well.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. It is so greatly appreciated 🤗

Hoping they are getting ready to begin laying again. Haven’t had any eggs since just before Thanksgiving. Everyone is 3-4 years old. Will be getting new ladies this spring as well.
Oh yes, the older girls seem to take longer breaks in fall/winter. It's about time for them to start back up though!

Getting some spring newbies is always exciting and you have a better chance of winter eggs.

I hope you see eggs soon, it's always nice to see them come back into lay.

Back
Top Bottom