Unusual behavior? Very worried.

I'm not a vet or even particularly knowledgeable, but the fact that your drake is turning in both directions and chasing a specific part of his body suggests to me that his actions are voluntary as opposed to strictly neurological. I could, of course, be completely wrong about this.

I'm assuming that the vet did a thorough inspection of your duck's entire back and tail area, under the feathers, to see whether there is any sign of irritation or any kind of parasite or thorn or something giving your duck cause to keep trying to get at it. Something like a chigger or other subdermal irritant that might be easily overlooked perhaps? I know that when I have a chigger, it is next to impossible to stop trying to make that itch stop. I'm just wondering whether this kind of irritant is a possibility. In the absence of other information, I would probably recheck the area every so often to see whether anything has changed or become apparent.

Yes she did check for that. What I can tell you is he’s very irritated about that spot. I will call when they open to see if they have something to calm him with. I know he didn’t sleep all night because I’ve been with him all night. Will check again for a something unusual. Thank you

I'd call and ask if there is anything in the sedative dept that you can give him. Just a small amount to calm him down. You said pain meds but they must not be doing much. If you have CBD oil you might try giving him some. I have seen my Muscovy drakes do this but not that extreme. The video would work for me.
CBD oil?

Here’s a crazy question. We were discussing what had we done differently before his behavior started. We used a new bag of hay that we got a Panera feed store inside his pen. Could this cause it? We’ve removed him from it since then but I don’t know what would hay do to make him do this.

CBD oil also know as hemp oil. YOu can get it on Amazon - or in some states you can buy in stores.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTQ95ZY/?tag=backy-20
Just be careful because Amazon can sometimes sell bunk products, and not all hemp oil sold there will really have CBD in it. If OP is in a legal state, they can try CBDistillery.com (that's where I buy mine, highly recommend). They have different options specifically formulated for animals, too, as well as ointments and salves.

Back
Top Bottom