Unusual Indian Runner Behavior

Faith452

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Hi All!

I'm the proud new mom of six 2month old Indian Runner ducks! One has an odd behavior that I'm not sure is healthy.

One of them stands up and makes a humping motion that looks like she is trying to lie an egg or defaecate. She will then have what looks like a minor spasm and she will jump backwards. After that her legs shake and she collapses into a sitting position. It is eats quite a bit and drinks plenty of water. The others do not do this. Does she have a health problem that I need to take care of or is this just and odd duck behavior?

I have had them for about 3 days now and they all behave normally and I am careful to feed a balanced diet of pellets, veggies and fruit. There is ample water available as well.

Any help would be appreciated

Its almost hard to even imagine what that looks like. All I can recommend right now is to make sure they have plenty of fresh water- a good diet- warmth at night and continue to watch her. If the occurrence gets more frequent- or she shows any other weird symptoms you may want to try and post a vidoe of her so people here can see exactly what she is doing as it really does sound odd.

Congratulations on the new additions to your family, and
welcome-byc.gif
too!!

My 2 do something similar to this - but they stand very straight, their tail feathers are tucked under them and they try to walk, very slow and stiffly for a few steps (or sometimes further) before they put out their wings kind of like a dome with both wings touching the ground and then they flop down. They seem kind of immobilized at this point and I can easily pick them up and carry them somewhere without a bit of grief, but you can tell by looking at them they are aware and they don't like it.

I can't figure out the trigger for mine, but they are otherwise healthy and have done this for several months. no idea how often as I'm not out with them all the time.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on her(maybe her) and see if it continues. Thank you for the links as well!

As I just posted check out the above threads regarding niacin deficiency. Brewer's yeast is the answer!

This is exactly what mine does and I have been searching for answers I have tried to capture a video of through behavior but only managed to get the quivering and her head down to balance.
If it is indeed niacin deficiency how do I give brewers yeast and how much

Last edited:
Most folks here say a tablespoon brewer's yeast (not baking yeast) per cup of feed for their first 8 to 12 weeks.

We were blessed to find turkey-waterfowl starter, so I did not need to supplement at that point.

Oh so what about this age they are at now between 15/20 weeks I'm at a loss infact I'm gonna gonna contact farmer where I got her from

OK heres the update I spoke to breeder he knew straight away what the problem was he explained its only something that happens with Indian runners but happens sometimes when they travel its a nervous system issue some will come out of it others wont there is no detriment to the duck as long as others are not leaving her and she is able to walk etc she wont get any worse there is still a chance she can improve
He was very helpful and offered for me to return her and swap but I'm keeping her and will just keep watch

Back
Top Bottom