Upcoming cold-front with chicken not used to cold, and don't have the supplies

What's the chance of frost bite on their combs and wattles? I have an Austra White and she has a fairly large comb. As long as they stay dry should they be fine? The low on Tuesday night supposedly at 8 now but it keeps changing.
I've never had a hen get frostbite even floppy comb leghorns, roos I've had get the tips of combs burnt but heal up come spring.
If you have a roo with big wattles it's a good idea to set up their water so they can't dip wattles when they drink that can make for bad frostbite.
I just put a top on their water pan to prevent it.

Hi, I'm in the same general area that you are, and just today I was prepping for the cold (on monday, high of 23, low of 1... Fahrenheit.

What I've done so far:
Put up their heated roost
Plugged the electric waterer base that keep the water from freezing
Changed the bedding so it will (hopefully) be dry in the coop
Am going to give them extra corn (which helps retain body heat)
Covered the windows (which are their main source of ventilation) with a towel, so it will still have ventilation, but hopefully the wind won't blow as strong.
I have a hen with a really large comb and wattle, so I'm a little bit worried. I'm trying to keep everything as dry as possible, but since Washington is so humid, I'm worried that it will be pretty moist, no matter what I do.

Fingers crossed all the chickens will be ok. I have a ton of different breeds, some I think will be ok, but others I'm more worried about. Especially since most of them are molting...
(I have a brahma, sapphire gem, welsummer, australorp, egger, barred rock, silkies, etc.)

Hoping everything will work out for you and your flock!

Photos of are the hen with the large comb, and the forecast for the coldest day.
(not sure if any of this is helpful at all, sorry!)

Wasn't sure to post this in the Emergencies area or the Flock Maintaining area, if it was wrong to post here let me know.
Next week here (near Seattle) we have a cold front coming with possibly some snow. Normally I wouldn't be worried about snow, but it's the cold that comes with it this time that worries me. There at least six days predicted right now where it doesn't even get above freezing. The lows on some days in 14, but the prediction has gotten down to 10 before. I know this is probably average mid-west winter, but here in Seattle this is something that usually doesn't happen so we don't have an preparations except cardboard on top of their houses to prevent drafts and keep in heat.
I've got nine chicken divided into three coops cause we got them at different times and they hate each other, one coop has 4, one has 3 and one has 2. We have two late molters who are still missing some feathers. I've also got a couple breeds who supposedly aren't good in heat (Austra White, Polish). I have two small dogs crates that can fit two chickens in emergencies but not for long.
When it got up to 108 this June we had to bring all nine chickens inside and it messed up that room for some time so we'd preferably not have to do that again. We might be able to move the two chicken on their own to live with three for the cold but one of the two is really mean and ended up ripping two of the other chickens neck feathers out and one of them just got them back.
Today I found some drinkers that were the heated types but they were $90 and we'd have to buy at least two, the colds supposed to start Sunday and with Christmas I don't think we can get much on time to help them, what should I do to make them warmer and safer?
BTW here's the coop layouts: (large coop - 4 chickens) Australorp, Austra White, Polish, Easter Egger. (Large coop - 3 chickens) Australorp, Maran(slightly molting), Wyandotte, (Small coop - 2 chickens) Ameraucana, Wyandotte.
I have a mixed variety as well, and have had lovely luck with mine here in northern Maine. I have a 200 watt heat lamp in their coop. Bracket, TSC $11. Bulbs 2 pack, TSC 13$. Heavy duty outdoor 100' extension cord, $heart attack 95$
DD uses an outdoor Christmas tree light type extension cord and it works fine.
In those smaller coops, prolly smaller light wattage?
But it works well. My big coop is new and a family emergency prevented me from being there to insulate it before winter. The light keeps it at about 40 degrees despite that, and around 30 degrees during the brutal negative Temps.
I have knee deep hay in there as well.
During the nights, even the heated water dish in their warmed coop freezes. I installed a 5 gallon bucket drip waterer over it, with a ice bucket thawer inside that (from TSC) and that works great.
Worst case, like i first started, i put them in large kennels and brought them inside, lol!!
And no, i don't work for TSC. It's our only local store of that type here.
Hopefully these ideas, scaled down to size for your coops, help.

How low is it suppose to be again?
Hi, forgot to check back in on this thread again. The lows on the forecast are now more manageable, it did get down to 8 on Tuesday night but now the lowest low is at 14 which is tomorrow morning at around 8am. Everyone was fine today and the average temp outside was 24 while snowing. We brought the two chickens in the small coop inside because they weren't leaving their house. It still doesn't get above freezing till Thursday but since they did fine today I'm not as worried.

(not sure if any of this is helpful at all, sorry!)
Meant to check back on this thread sooner but forgot due to Christmas things. Today with an average of 24 all of ours did fine, we did have to bring in two who are alone because they weren't coming out of their house. Luckily now the lowest low is only at 14 which I'm not as worried about (getting down to 8 would have been cool to have 100 degrees of difference this year). Hope your chickens do fine if it does get down to 1 this week, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom