Upcoming cold-front with chicken not used to cold, and don't have the supplies

The cold temperature isn't an issue, chickens are fine below 0. Remember that folks in Canada and Alaska have chickens too. The lack of liquid water can be a problem - either you need to keep bringing out liquid water throughout the day, or invest in some form of heated waterer.

Do NOT be tempted to close up the coop and run to keep them warm. Ventilation is key, you need to let moisture escape so they stay dry. Dry chickens are warm chickens.

The smallest coop (assuming you haven't altered it), is underventilated, by the way. If the door and window cannot be left open/propped open, that would be the one I'd be most concerned about.

If winds are an issue you may want to buffer the run walls facing oncoming winds with clear plastic.
:thumbsup
This say's it all @moisture , ventilation is the most important thing, more important than stopping drafts IMHO.

Some people get worried about cold temps. I've kept some of my birds when I had too many in a dog kennel with tarp roof and three sides. One side completely open, in below zero temps -20 windchill. No probs, and I have naked necks.

We don't have a screened in porch, we do have a deck connected to the house but it currently doesn't have railings as we just got it redone. And yes, that 108 day was really hot, felt like walking into an engine everytime I went outside.
Aww well maybe invest in a big baby play area thing for them to put in the room they had, or on your deck with some Heat lamps. But if it is supposed to snow maybe insulate your coops, my Chickens when I lived in New York always stayed in our porch that had a cover in a big cage. Good luck and happy holidays!

I use the 1 gallon black rubber bowls for water outside the coop. I fill them up each morning, and dump them out when they go in to roost each evening. Inside the coop, my electric dog waterers work well, but they are pricey, and the newer ones don’t seem to work year after year as my old ones have.

Some people get worried about cold temps. I've kept some of my birds when I had too many in a dog kennel with tarp roof and three sides. One side completely open, in below zero temps -20 windchill. No probs, and I have naked necks.
Thank you, I think I'm just a little paranoid cause I've never had to deal with temps this low and we had a scare with high heat earlier this year. Not used to the extremes.

What's the chance of frost bite on their combs and wattles? I have an Austra White and she has a fairly large comb. As long as they stay dry should they be fine? The low on Tuesday night supposedly at 8 now but it keeps changing.

Dont hesitate to holler they should be fine. But I would tarp all sides or 2 out of 4 for sure :)
You've been an awesome help, thank you so much. What are the chances of frostbite happening? Some of my chickens have larger combs, especially my Austra White. The low of Tuesday is now at 8.

What's the chance of frost bite on their combs and wattles? I have an Austra White and she has a fairly large comb. As long as they stay dry should they be fine? The low on Tuesday night supposedly at 8 now but it keeps changing.
Keeping them dry is the key. Frostbite can be caused by moisture/dampness on the combs/wattles and then freezing (which is why some birds develop it at barely freezing temps), so as long as the birds stay dry that should reduce the risk.

You may still get a bit of frostbite damage on birds with large combs (and if so, do not touch the damaged area - if the tissue dies it'll slough off on its own) but the bird itself should be fine.

Hi, I'm in the same general area that you are, and just today I was prepping for the cold (on monday, high of 23, low of 1... Fahrenheit.

What I've done so far:
Put up their heated roost
Plugged the electric waterer base that keep the water from freezing
Changed the bedding so it will (hopefully) be dry in the coop
Am going to give them extra corn (which helps retain body heat)
Covered the windows (which are their main source of ventilation) with a towel, so it will still have ventilation, but hopefully the wind won't blow as strong.
I have a hen with a really large comb and wattle, so I'm a little bit worried. I'm trying to keep everything as dry as possible, but since Washington is so humid, I'm worried that it will be pretty moist, no matter what I do.

Fingers crossed all the chickens will be ok. I have a ton of different breeds, some I think will be ok, but others I'm more worried about. Especially since most of them are molting...
(I have a brahma, sapphire gem, welsummer, australorp, egger, barred rock, silkies, etc.)

Hoping everything will work out for you and your flock!

Photos of are the hen with the large comb, and the forecast for the coldest day.

Attachments

• weather 5.png
    weather 5.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 2
  • sam.jpeg
    sam.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 1
Today I found some drinkers that were the heated types but they were $90 and we'd have to buy at least two, the colds supposed to start Sunday and with Christmas I don't think we can get much on time to help them, what should I do to make them warmer and safer?
If it's just a few days, and if someone is able to be home, you can carry out fresh water several times per day.

Chickens do not drink in the dark, so bring them water at sunup, and check regularly during the day (maybe as often as every 2 hours, depending on how fast it freezes.)

That could take care of the water during THIS cold snap, which gives you more time to decide what you want to do about water in other cold snaps (later this winter, or another winter.)

You can also put some of their food in a dish and add water to make a warm mush. It seems to help the chickens eat more (to keep them warm in the cold), it helps make sure they get enough water, and it also helps me feel that I did something to help ;)

Back
Top Bottom