Upcoming cold-front with chicken not used to cold, and don't have the supplies

moisture

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2021
Wasn't sure to post this in the Emergencies area or the Flock Maintaining area, if it was wrong to post here let me know.
Next week here (near Seattle) we have a cold front coming with possibly some snow. Normally I wouldn't be worried about snow, but it's the cold that comes with it this time that worries me. There at least six days predicted right now where it doesn't even get above freezing. The lows on some days in 14, but the prediction has gotten down to 10 before. I know this is probably average mid-west winter, but here in Seattle this is something that usually doesn't happen so we don't have an preparations except cardboard on top of their houses to prevent drafts and keep in heat.
I've got nine chicken divided into three coops cause we got them at different times and they hate each other, one coop has 4, one has 3 and one has 2. We have two late molters who are still missing some feathers. I've also got a couple breeds who supposedly aren't good in heat (Austra White, Polish). I have two small dogs crates that can fit two chickens in emergencies but not for long.
When it got up to 108 this June we had to bring all nine chickens inside and it messed up that room for some time so we'd preferably not have to do that again. We might be able to move the two chicken on their own to live with three for the cold but one of the two is really mean and ended up ripping two of the other chickens neck feathers out and one of them just got them back.
Today I found some drinkers that were the heated types but they were $90 and we'd have to buy at least two, the colds supposed to start Sunday and with Christmas I don't think we can get much on time to help them, what should I do to make them warmer and safer?
BTW here's the coop layouts: (large coop - 4 chickens) Australorp, Austra White, Polish, Easter Egger. (Large coop - 3 chickens) Australorp, Maran(slightly molting), Wyandotte, (Small coop - 2 chickens) Ameraucana, Wyandotte.

The cold temperature isn't an issue, chickens are fine below 0. Remember that folks in Canada and Alaska have chickens too. The lack of liquid water can be a problem - either you need to keep bringing out liquid water throughout the day, or invest in some form of heated waterer.

Do NOT be tempted to close up the coop and run to keep them warm. Ventilation is key, you need to let moisture escape so they stay dry. Dry chickens are warm chickens.

The smallest coop (assuming you haven't altered it), is underventilated, by the way. If the door and window cannot be left open/propped open, that would be the one I'd be most concerned about.

If winds are an issue you may want to buffer the run walls facing oncoming winds with clear plastic.

Wasn't sure to post this in the Emergencies area or the Flock Maintaining area, if it was wrong to post here let me know.
Next week here (near Seattle) we have a cold front coming with possibly some snow. Normally I wouldn't be worried about snow, but it's the cold that comes with it this time that worries me. There at least six days predicted right now where it doesn't even get above freezing. The lows on some days in 14, but the prediction has gotten down to 10 before. I know this is probably average mid-west winter, but here in Seattle this is something that usually doesn't happen so we don't have an preparations except cardboard on top of their houses to prevent drafts and keep in heat.
I've got nine chicken divided into three coops cause we got them at different times and they hate each other, one coop has 4, one has 3 and one has 2. We have two late molters who are still missing some feathers. I've also got a couple breeds who supposedly aren't good in heat (Austra White, Polish). I have two small dogs crates that can fit two chickens in emergencies but not for long.
When it got up to 108 this June we had to bring all nine chickens inside and it messed up that room for some time so we'd preferably not have to do that again. We might be able to move the two chicken on their own to live with three for the cold but one of the two is really mean and ended up ripping two of the other chickens neck feathers out and one of them just got them back.
Today I found some drinkers that were the heated types but they were $90 and we'd have to buy at least two, the colds supposed to start Sunday and with Christmas I don't think we can get much on time to help them, what should I do to make them warmer and safer?
BTW here's the coop layouts: (large coop - 4 chickens) Australorp, Austra White, Polish, Easter Egger. (Large coop - 3 chickens) Australorp, Maran(slightly molting), Wyandotte, (Small coop - 2 chickens) Ameraucana, Wyandotte.
Do you have pics by chance? Also heated dog bowls last longer and are way cheaper so I would do that. But if you had pics of coops that would be helpful. So I can help you

My chicken coop has large open vents on 3 sides up top..No heat.No insulation.No plastic. They get lots of feed in cold weather so they can produce a lot of heat (crumbles and sunflower seeds) Fresh water every morning when I let them out of their run.The run has pallets on the sides that block the wind and a tarp on top that keeps them dry.I fill their coop and run with fresh dry leaves once a week.They stay out in the run from daylight to dark and I lock them in the coop overnight to keep them safe.They have dry leaves for bedding so they can snuggle down in the layers of leaves on the floor to stay warm in cold weather(around zero)

Attachments

• WP_20210922_11_50_44_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210922_11_50_44_Pro.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 2
Some people get worried about cold temps. I've kept some of my birds when I had too many in a dog kennel with tarp roof and three sides. One side completely open, in below zero temps -20 windchill. No probs, and I have naked necks.
What's the chance of frost bite on their combs and wattles? I have an Austra White and she has a fairly large comb. As long as they stay dry should they be fine? The low on Tuesday night supposedly at 8 now but it keeps changing.

If it's just a few days, and if someone is able to be home, you can carry out fresh water several times per day.

Chickens do not drink in the dark, so bring them water at sunup, and check regularly during the day (maybe as often as every 2 hours, depending on how fast it freezes.)

That could take care of the water during THIS cold snap, which gives you more time to decide what you want to do about water in other cold snaps (later this winter, or another winter.)

You can also put some of their food in a dish and add water to make a warm mush. It seems to help the chickens eat more (to keep them warm in the cold), it helps make sure they get enough water, and it also helps me feel that I did something to help ;)

What's the chance of frost bite on their combs and wattles? I have an Austra White and she has a fairly large comb. As long as they stay dry should they be fine? The low on Tuesday night supposedly at 8 now but it keeps changing.
I've never had a hen get frostbite even floppy comb leghorns, roos I've had get the tips of combs burnt but heal up come spring.
If you have a roo with big wattles it's a good idea to set up their water so they can't dip wattles when they drink that can make for bad frostbite.
I just put a top on their water pan to prevent it.

How low is it suppose to be again?
Hi, forgot to check back in on this thread again. The lows on the forecast are now more manageable, it did get down to 8 on Tuesday night but now the lowest low is at 14 which is tomorrow morning at around 8am. Everyone was fine today and the average temp outside was 24 while snowing. We brought the two chickens in the small coop inside because they weren't leaving their house. It still doesn't get above freezing till Thursday but since they did fine today I'm not as worried.

Back
Top Bottom