Update #2 Fowl pox/respiratory disease

Kyonarai

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Well, so far everyone has been started on tylan 50 injections, including the cochins. I am giving them .02cc a day for 5 days, and we'll see how they look at the end of that time.
In other news, I caught my white leghorn rooster and one of his hens last night. Roosters breathing is alright, but his comb is covered in white/grey spots that are raised from the skin, and his crow is hoarse and squeaky sounding. I'm hoping this means it is the dry/wet form of fowl pox in all of my chickens, and I'm not dealing with fowl pox AND some respiratory illness/possibly coryza.

The hen is another story. Her breath is rattling and she has one large inflamed spot on her comb, that is bloodied with a black top on it. So far there seems to be no head in it, just a ball of swollen tissue that has probably been pecked at. She also has a few chicken lice. I didn't see them when looking around in her feathers, but I found two on my clothing after handling her. She is in isolation. So far no success in our attempts to capture the other hen, but we're trying.

The larger birds have each had one injection of Tylan 50 1cc each, so we'll see if they've made any progress tomorrow. I have the vaccine for fowl pox, but I am unsure as to if I can I've it while they are exhibiting symptoms.

So the stats so far are:

4 bantam cochins, 10weeks old, who weigh maybe half a pound each or less, are receiving .02cc of tylan 50 injectable for the next five days. Two pullets and a cockerel appear healthy. One pullet is showing symptoms consisting of clear discharge from nostrils, wiping nose/beak on everything in an attempt to dislodge mucous, and breathing through her mouth. Slight smell to feathers from wiping mucous on them and not cleaning herself well. No horrible smell. Together for now, as all are still active and showing few signs of distress.

1 leghorn roo, sub-adult, maybe 3 or 4lbs, receiving 1cc of tylan50 injectable for the next 5 days. Symptoms are raised white/grey spots all over comb and hoarse voice. No nasal discharge that I could see. No lice that I could see. In isolation.

1 leghorn hen, sub-adult, maybe 2-3lbs, receiving 1cc of tylan50 injectable for the next 5 days. Symptoms are one single, very large spot/growth on comb that is bloodied, very hoarse voice and rattling breath when upset. Spot appears to be infected fowl pox lesion, and contains no core that I could see. Also discovered two chicken lice on clothing after handling. In isolation. I also placed gold salve(a homemade antiviral/antibiotic remedy for healing wounds) on the spot.

1 leghorn hen currently ranging whose state of health has yet to be determined. We are continuing in our attempts to capture her.

1 adult bantam Polish roo. In his own bachelor pad and so far healthy. Monitoring his health.

Questions and concerns:

Can fowl pox vaccine be administered to birds showing the infection, and will it ease symptoms?
So far I have been limited by what I could find in antibiotics. Are there any other treatments that could help them?
What would you recommend to treat the few lice I found on the one hen? I am currently preparing wood ashes. I would prefer to avoid DE as I have lung problems that are exacerbated by exposure to it.

Pictures of spot on hens comb after I cleaned it up a little. It can't be seen here, but it has a cut in the middle of it where the hen either scratched at it or it was pecked at. I removed two globs of semi coagulated blood from around the hole with tweezers while I was cleaning it. There were a few smaller spots spread over the area, including a tiny one right behind her eye.

bump! Other hen has been caught, and surprisingly, appears to be in perfect health. No nasal discharge, no spots on comb, no labored breathing. Clean, white feathers and no lice. She is by herself right now in a large dog crate, and appears to be the healthiest chicken in the whole yard, lol.

Back
Top Bottom