Update: crop surgery with graphic photos

Pics
Here she is this morning!
FE7D0B62-FA70-45E3-A0BC-9DAEEAE1F750.jpeg
0CD57AA4-3429-4127-B536-1CA57146653B.jpeg
009D09B6-A727-47B6-8EA2-D972D274C170.jpeg
BEBCDD3D-0477-4E14-9C66-E22B88B8141C.jpeg

The last pic is so cute and coquetish, it leaves no doubt our Regina is going to be just fine and live a long life. The incision looks good. No red skin which would indicate infection. I know you both are very attuned to her behavior, so watch for signs of her becoming lethargic suddenly or refusing to eat. That would indicate infection. I seriously doubt it's going to happen, though.

I do agree that it would be wise to complete her miconazole treatement to insure all yeast spores are eliminated. And a daily probiotic will help get her system balanced again. Soft foods for three days, applesauce, tofu, boiled egg, yogurt, kefir, soy milk. Sunday you can begin offering her regular feed again.

Many of us have fallen in love with this cute little fluff ball, and it makes our day she's looking and feeling so much better.

What a happy family! You guys are an oasis of peace in this crazy tumultuous world! I adore those baby pics. What is it about chicks in their first week that they look to be a paradox of vulnerability as well as appearing to command all around them?

I would skip the calcium. But if you have chicken multivitamins or baby vitamins or the absolute best, Poultry Nutri-drench, I would include those with her food.

Thanks @azygous It is true so small, but with this big presence about them, you can see it in her eyes of her chick picture! Once again we can't get the good supplies like you guys :(, ill try to order some Nutri-drench i've heard so many good things about it! In the Mean time I have Stress Aid which will have to do.

I hate to endorse them but Amazon, the Evil Empire, has all of these kinds of items. Many are supplied by small, family providers, too.

:hugs Thank you for sharing :hugs You did great, we never know how far we'd go until put through the "test". Don't know if I'd be able to do it on my girls. :bow @azygous Your knowledge & experience has helped so very many, as have other BYC members. We sure do appreciate all that knowledge & help :hugs
Yes, you could. If we had more threads like this one where the OP is courageous and willing to do whatever is necessary for their sick chicken, then document their experience as this thread has done, more folks would become familiar with the technique and soon it wouldn't be so rare and scary.

One thing I highly recommend people do is to practice on a euthanized chicken. Treat the body as a live chicken and perform crop surgery. It will familiarize you with the consistency of the crop, the skin, and how deep to make the incisions. Practice hooking a gloved finger into the crop and pulling out the solid material. Practice super gluing the incision so you experience any difficulties on a dead chicken. When it comes time to save the life of one of your chickens, you will not be encountering new and strange territory.

Back
Top Bottom