UPDATE! Neighbor's roo is beating up my roos! Need advise. Pix

verycherry

Songster
11 Years
May 29, 2008
SC Arkansas
My neighbors allow their little dogs to come onto my property and harrass my chickens. Now their rooster is coming too, and he has beaten up 2 of my cockerels. He beat up my white Cochin frizzle, and now my Hamburg. Their rooster is old and has very large spurs.

My daughter actually found our boy and took him to the neighbors house crying and said "Look what your rooster did!" They didn't do a thing, and the old roo was back yesterday afternoon. I've talked to the young girl (almost 18) but she doesn't nothing but say she might build him a pen, but never does it She lives with her aunt, who fosters her and her 3 siblings, and has made it clear that the rooster isn't her responsibility.

This first pic is my Hamburg cockerel last week, and the second pic is what he looked like Saturday afternoon. I don't guess he has an eye anymore, or it's pushed way in! He also must have a damaged air sack, cause after I found him and all that day he was taking an open mouth breath every 30 or 40 seconds or so. I think he's better today but is not his usual self. I'm just sick over this.

I actually feel sorry for their old rooster. I know he's just lonely and doing what roosters do., so I don't want to kill him, and don't know if I can even leagally do that anyway.

Any advise? I can't just stay outside all day and chase the rooster off.

img65811.jpg

img6593.jpg

Last edited:
I meant to say that their roo is lonely because they gave me their 3 last young pullets last fall after A BUNCH of them got picked off one by one by preditors. They only had a open shed to house them in, and didn't want to build a better one. Giving them the hens back is NOT an option, because they'd just become raccoon food!

I can't take the roo for obvious reasons. He's have to live his life in a cage if I did.

Last edited:
You need to speak with the adult in charge.
I would suggest letting them know that you won't tolerate this and will trap any critter of theirs that's on your property.

Good luck. Neighbors are hard!

You are too kind hearted. I would kill that roo if it did something so nasty to any of my babehs. And hang him in a tree like a pinata in my neighbor's yard!

Oh, I was so mad at first that I wanted to, and my 10 year old felt the same way, but later I realized that it's not the rooster thats at fault. I wish they'd move!

BB gun

If it will make him stay away, I can see if I can borrow one.​

BB gun might leave too much of a wound on a chicken I use a water hose on my mean roo and now any time I go near the hose he runs as far away from me as he can.

You need to speak with the adult in charge.
I would suggest letting them know that you won't tolerate this and will trap any critter of theirs that's on your property.

Good luck. Neighbors are hard!

I've chased the dogs back over there when they were standing out on the porch, and they do nothing.

It is really hard. There are two families over there in two mobile homes. Then the one aunt has all her sisters kids living with her. Most of them are rude and unfriendly, and frankly I'm a little afraid of them. A couple of the women have buzz cuts, and cut through my 3 acres on their 4 wheelers. I think they're just trying to aggrevate me.​

I just called the police. We really don't even have a police dept. but they are going to have someone call me. I said I wasn't looking to take them to court or cause a big stir, but needed advise. Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom