UPDATE! Sad News!

Silkhope, I am sorry you are not having a better time with your shipped eggs, and I hope that the little ones you do have do well
fl.gif
All but three of my eggs were shipped - I have a post here somewhere that shows the shipping trauma they went through from the Post Office - I am amazed that anything is developing! There were quite a few broken eggs in a lightly damaged package (BYC purchase)......none broken in a box that looked like an accordian it was so smooshed on the corner (ebay purchase)...and my own three cuckoo marans eggs are doing well....the shock to the package in the one with broken eggs was so hard that a couple of little eggs actually shot out of taped Bubble Wrap baggies and were free floating in the box of shredded paper :mad: . I think it's a risk you take, but now that I know they can survive even this long, I think it's worth it!! Good luck on the hatches, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for the ones you have
smile.png

coffeegirl78 - So you would use your LG for incubating and hatching then, you keep the babies in it until they hatch, then put them in the brooder? I need to look around and read up on what to do - I want to take the eggs on the last few days or hours, or whatever, from my Genesis and put them into a separate Hatching incubator, with the temperature and Humidity ready for them to hatch - then from there take them to the indoor temporary brooder - then they go outside to our Hover Brooder after that....Does that sound good? Some reasons we want separate incubators include cleaning up easier, and we want to be able to stagger hatches (although we didnt this time, we want the practice).....

Marie_martin - Do Araucanas have a different fertility rate than other chickens? I have read other places about the gene thing, it made me wonder if I should buy eggs online or not - I would like to have some standard araucanas in my flock some day, but have been afraid of trying to incubate due to the blurbs I read? Where did you get your Bantam Araucana eggs? Were there postal issues too? You might have already posted the answer somewhere - sorry for the multiple Questions - I just get curious? The Araucana's are neat birds - I have one and she's one of my most gentle easy going birds - I'd love to have more
smile.png
Good luck with your others! Tina

I got the eggs from a BYC memeber jmhappycowboy for free. He was just letting me try them. He is having some fertility problems. It was not due to them being araucana, although there is a lethal gene involved with breeding those that can cause problems. You will have to read up on it because I am not an araucana breeder. Good luck.

Marie

Quote:
That sucks-I don't think mine is going to be much better than that.

Quote:
Yep-I would take the eggs out on day 18 and move them to the hova. Then when everyone is hatched, I would move them to my indoor brooder.
smile.png

Wow, everyone is on a hatching frenzy... including me!!
A nice lady sent me some phoenix eggs and d'uccle eggs, they are on day 13. I candeled them last night, and out of 17 eggs I have 13 that are doing great!!!
For shipped eggs I think that is terrific!

They are going to be kind of a suprise because I dont know which d'uccle or phoenix they are.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
That's great! I candled again last night, and I one have one maybe two good ones out of my eight shipped eggs. I'm kind of bummed about it, but I did have 8 from the local eggs that I put in. I ordered a hova 1588 for the next go around, so I'm hoping the eggs Grace(Gracefulbantams) sends me will do better in there, than my current shipped eggs have done in the LG.

Well, I candled again last night and all are still doing great. If I get another 100% hatch rate I am going to second guess ordering a new bator, lol. I don't expect that, but would love it. I can't wait to see these critters.

Coffee, sorry to hear about your incubating woes, but just be assured that it is that way for everyone at times. I ordered eggs from jenlynn and none of them progressed at all, so I know how you feel. It is very disappointing. But you just don't know what the P.O. did to them before you got them. You just have to keep trying.

Marie

How's everyone doing? I candled again last night and weeded out all the bad eggs and clears. I now have two of my precious ameraucanas and ten of the mixed breed eggs. I'm pretty happy with the results so far, but I hope with my new bator that I will have better results next time.
I'm having odd humidity issues today-can't seem to get it up above 42% even though I filled all wells and put in 2 sponges. Not sure where I'm going to get the room to add even more sponges for day 18.
We're getting close people!

My temps and humidity are averaging out well - I plan to candle ALL of the eggs one last time later tonight. I tried to post what was happening at my Mother in laws with my other eggs but got no response - she had peeping inside eggs YESTERDAY - Day 16 - and she set her eggs in her bator only 5 hours before me? I'm worried for the little ones, but she's hatched exotics and other birds, maybe theres a chance for them? I did get that package a day before I got the others? I didnt end up getting more eggs for my Hova yet, but I did get a LG incubator just for Hatching.....Is it true the babies can burn their heads on the element in the LG so they have to be taken out IMMEDIATELY? What if I miss one hatching? Getting more and more nervous here
fl.gif
Hope this works! Tina Good luck everyone....it's just about countdown time, isnt it!

Back
Top Bottom