Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
So are they all treated by the same meds or do different strains need different meds?

I was hoping (am still hoping) that someone who actually knows what they are talking about (that's pretty much anybody other than me
gig.gif
) was going to answer this... I think it's a little complicated. If I understand what I've read, the amprolium kills some (most??) strains, but may not be totally effective against all strains that are out there. The antibiotics that work for this (and I don't think that all necessarily do), don't necessarily kill all strains either, but may kill some strains that amprolium won't? And apparently the specific symptoms can give some clue, along with what kind of bird/animal it is... and help from a vet is probably a really, really good idea.

Plus apparently a whopping case of coccidiosis can also result in secondary infections, so sometimes the antibiotics are needed to clear those up. (I think that's what's going on with PeaLover130's poor old red hen
sad.png
)

But MOST of the time, good old amprolium, used in the right strength, is enough to keep the chicks from getting sick, and to clear up a cocci outbreak.

There, did I say that correctly?
hide.gif

There are environmental factors to take into consideration when fighting the war against cocci. Extreme cold, freezing and heat wave conditions will go along way to keeping numbers down. Unfortunately spring , as it is here, is the time of year when conditions are perfect for them to ' go forth and multiply '

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html#v3340210
We can have all them extreme conditions in one day here in Southeast Texas
big_smile.png
mabe that is why i haven't had a problem with alot of stuff here
wink.png

Hi everyone I am treating my chicken with corid(amprolium ) she seems to not be herself has her tail down doesn't want to walk much. She does eat and drink water when I put a cup up to her. I do give her electrolytes and vaitamins as well. I want to make sure I mix the right amount this is so confusing I'm sure there's many out here thinking newbie. Lol well I am. Please help I have the liquid and want to mix into a pint or a gallon.

I'll post a picture maybe someone could tell me what may be wrong. Will appreciate any help thanks.

The liquid Corid is mixed at 2 teaspoons per gallon. Since Corid works by starving the cocci protozoa of thiamin it's best not to give added vitamins until after the course of treatment. But sick birds often will not drink enough on their own so get an eye dropper or a needless syringe and give her the medicated water every couple hours or as often as you can the first day or so, until she starts drinking well on her own. Just dribble it slowly into the side of her beak, very little at a time and watch for her to swallow. You need to go slow doing this so she doesn't aspirate it. Something else you can do since you have the liquid is to give her a drop or two of it straight, undiluted to get her started.

Have you checked her for mites and lice? Can you put her in a warm room (80-85 degrees is ideal)? This picture shows how to dose per gallon, so 1/4 to dose by quart.
big_smile.png
FWIW, I always use the severe dose. Here is the picture:

-Kathy

Have you checked her for mites and lice? Can you put her in a warm room (80-85 degrees is ideal)? This picture shows how to dose per gallon, so 1/4 to dose by quart. :D FWIW, I always use the severe dose. Here is the picture: -Kathy
Thank you so much I powdered them a little over a weak ago should I do it again? Is it ok if I put some in a cup after mixing and putting to her for her to drink some. How much is she able to drink

The liquid Corid is mixed at 2 teaspoons per gallon.  Since Corid works by starving the cocci protozoa of thiamin it's best not to give added vitamins until after the course of treatment.  But sick birds often will not drink enough on their own so get an eye dropper or a needless syringe and give her the medicated water every couple hours or as often as you can the first day or so, until she starts drinking well on her own.  Just dribble it slowly into the side of her beak, very little at a time and watch for her to swallow.  You need to go slow doing this so she doesn't aspirate it.  Something else you can do since you have the liquid is to give her a drop or two of it straight, undiluted to get her started.

Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom