Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
I have to disagree with you on this, Peafowl are so susceptible to illnesses so if they are wormy also you may find yourself with a dead pea.
wink.png

This has been mentioned before and thing is no one here has stepped up to back up these claims, not saying they never happen but all of us here are and have learned many things about our birds together and i have yet to read where any one has had problems with birds molting, but have read many times about birds dieing cause folks did not know about the importance of keeping them wormed i have over 200 birds here about 75 are peafowl and all of them have and do make it just fine threw molts

I have to disagree with you on this, Peafowl are so susceptible to illnesses so if they are wormy also you may find yourself with a dead pea.;)

This has been mentioned before and thing is no one here has stepped up to back up these claims, not saying they never happen but all of us here are and have learned many things about our birds together and i have yet to read where any one has had problems with birds molting, but have read many times about birds dieing cause folks did not know about the importance of keeping them wormed  i have over 200 birds here about 75 are peafowl and all of them have and do make it just fine threw  molts

Oh for sure worm but there are alternatives if your flock are moulting. Yes i do use fenbendazole and have had frizzled feathers on a few hens after worming just before molt. If you are not showing and are not concerned about cosmetics then it wouldn't really matter.

@Mike10 how is your hen doing? She looked like she wasn't feeling well at all from those last photos. Any change in her condition?

x2 everything that @casportpony & @zazouse are telling you... when a bird (even a chicken) is a ill as your bird looked in those photos, you don't have time to wait weeks and weeks. I'm afraid if she were a pea, she'd have passed on by now.

Hope she is better
fl.gif

Oh for sure worm but there are alternatives if your flock are moulting. Yes i do use fenbendazole and have had frizzled feathers on a few hens after worming just before molt. If you are not showing and are not concerned about cosmetics then it wouldn't really matter.
So when do you worm them?? you are not suppose to worm them during breeding season that is 4 to 5 months and then you are not suppose to worm them during a molt which can take 7 to 8 months for a peacock to grow it's new train so now a year has gone by and you have not wormed them
idunno.gif
I worm mine at least ever 3 months now and see no feathers effected at all

@Mike10
how is your hen doing?  She looked like she wasn't feeling well at all from those last photos.  Any change in her condition?

x2 everything that @casportpony
& @zazouse
are telling you... when a bird (even a chicken) is a ill as your bird looked in those photos, you don't have time to wait weeks and weeks.  I'm afraid if she were a pea, she'd have passed on by now.

Hope she is better :fl

I gave her .2ml of safegaurd then she rested I went out came back she was eating and it was almost time for them to get up for bed. Her patch seemed hard and stuffed. Was it because she just got full. I put water up to her and she was drinking. Hopefully she will be ok. Thank you so much for your response

I gave her .2ml of safegaurd then she rested I went out came back she was eating and it was almost time for them to get up for bed. Her patch seemed hard and stuffed. Was it because she just got full. I put water up to her and she was drinking. Hopefully she will be ok. Thank you so much for your response

So if I am correctly understanding you @Mike10 , your hen's crop sounds hard and perhaps a bit swollen. Are you still feeding her the same feed? She probably needs something easier to digest right now, and maybe even needs to have impacted stuff removed...

Scroll to post # 166 on this thread and read the stuff that Casportpony put up there about crop problems. She's got more information posted other places about how to tube feed and how to suck impacted stuff out of an overloaded bird... But for sure read that posted stuff from the chicken vet.

It may be that the whole grains are too much for your girl right now. And if she's really hungry, then she's stuffing in more food that she can't digest, maybe? Can you give her a nice, soft mash from chicken crumbles (or ground up chicken pellets), soaked with some warm water? And try to figure out if you need to help empty her crop?

Good luck with her, I hope she feels better soon!
fl.gif

So if I am correctly understanding you @Mike10
, your hen's crop sounds hard and perhaps a bit swollen.  Are you still feeding her the same feed?  She probably needs something easier to digest right now, and maybe even needs to have impacted stuff removed...

Scroll to post # 166 on this thread and read the stuff that Casportpony put up there about crop problems.  She's got more information posted other places about how to tube feed and how to suck impacted stuff out of an overloaded bird...  But for sure read that posted stuff from the chicken vet. 

It may be that the whole grains are too much for your girl right now.  And if she's really hungry, then she's stuffing in more food that she can't digest, maybe?  Can you give her a nice, soft mash from chicken crumbles (or ground up chicken pellets), soaked with some warm water?  And try to figure out if you need to help empty her crop?

Good luck with her, I hope she feels better soon!:fl

I'm not sure if she can't digest I think it's fine she had just finished eating maybe she was just full? But I will be trying different food. Maybe nature wise grower crumbles. Not sure yet. Will see how she's doing tomorrow thanks again

The name of the thread should probably be changed and I would if I knew how. The feather damage question was quickly resolved and put aside. The thread is more important for helping people to understand the proper measuring and dosing options for Safeguard. Some threads like this one will take you on a learning journey and the reason I stay involved here at BYC.

Actually I feed them scratch and peck feed. Organic non gmo I do not want to switch to nutrena I will look for a different organic or non gmo feed. But I noticed when I get the powdered stuff that's left and mix with water and gets mushy she eats that fine.

Actually I feed them scratch and peck feed. Organic non gmo I do not want to switch to nutrena I will look for a different organic or non gmo feed. But I noticed when I get the powdered stuff that's left and mix with water and gets mushy she eats that fine.

Well, @Mike10 , you can take the stuff you like and put it through the blender or food processor, perhaps.

It's hard to guess what's wrong with your chicken long distance, and I'm certainly not a vet, nor even anything approaching an expert. Other folks on here have far more expertise than I do. But here's what I understand (and maybe I'm wrong):

Your hen looks and apparently feels unwell.
Your hen has watery, green and white poo that has had at least some blood in it, as well as undigested whole grains.
Your hen's crop is hard, and possibly somewhat swollen.
You have just administered Safeguard (fenbendazole) for worms, and are treating for coccidia.
You are feeding a "scratch and peck" feed which I suspect has a lot of whole grains in it, and which is probably difficult to digest.

So maybe someone more expert than I am will chime in here, but my very amateur guessing is that your hen may be having trouble digesting the scratch and peck feed. The difficulty in digestion could be related to crop problems (see posts 164, 165 & 166 from @casportpony ), which may also be related to worms, or coccidia, or both. The worms and coccidia can damage various parts of the digestive tract, and can also impede digestion. Or if the crop is impacted from undigested grains, or has soured, that can be an additional or a separate reason the hen may not be feeling well. Excess/impacted food may need to be removed or flushed through her, or she may need antibiotics or some other treatment.

It seems like in addition to the very good start you've made with worming and treating for coccidia, that it would be worth checking out what is going on with her crop, if anything, and trying to figure out if she would benefit from some treatment for her crop. If it progresses, she can end up with permanent damage as explained in post #166, above. With her intestinal tract not in good shape, and her crop getting hard and swollen, she probably really needs soft, easily digestible food while she gets back on the path to wellness. So if you can help your pal out by grinding up her grain for a bit, you might save her life while you search for the source of her troubles.

My first, last, and best advice at this point is that you take your feathered friend to an actual vet who treats chickens. Again, if she were a pea, looking as bad as she looked in the photos, I'm afraid she would already have died. I dunno about chickens, she seems to be hanging in, fortunately. Good luck with her
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom