Updated Pics of RuPaul my Barred Rock from Speckledhen

What *is* that dark gene thing?? I have 2 of those really dark fellas- one was a rescue (guy said it was a Cuckoo Marans...riiiiiiight...) and the other was REALLY a rescue! The 2 sons of the feed store guy had him in a box wrapped really pretty- he scared FeedStoreGuy when the box was opened, and then I came in...so they all thought it would be funny to let him out into the highway to see how far he'd get...and he came home with me after I did some blue-speak.

My boys are both giant, but gorgeous, and I really wish I understood why their coloring is so dark. Could a male get one barring gene and look like a barred rock but be a male hybrid? If the other parent was solid? Like the reverse of a sex-link paring, with a Barred roo over a red hen?

So very confused...

Quote:
I am not a genetics person, but I have a BR Hen that tends to throw dark boys, they can look like hens through coloring and BAM they crow. I have 2 of Zoe's daughters and their coloring is dark but barring is not real good. I din't know that it is an actual gene that causes this and is common in BR's or of it is just this particular hen.

I have no idea. Zoe herself has decent barring and is a big girl. She should have made beautiful babies, but heck, if she throws the type you can't even sex according to the BR rules, I don't think I'd continue to hatch any of her kids. You just never know what genes are going to do. I'm sure one of our genetics people could explain this. Let me see if I can get a picture of Zoe for you from my album.

Here is all I can find of Zoe. She is the one under the pine tree in the first pic:
DCP_1674.jpg

Here's a younger pic of Hannah (L) and Maddie (R) for your identification project.

DCP_1183.jpg

Here's Holly, who was always the hardest to ID for me.

DCP_0035Holly.jpg

Goodness SpeckledHen they are beautiful ladies.

I adore Zoe’s comb, don’t know exactly why but looks like a fantastic hat. Her little tiny self is all dressed up for the Derby. (She does look like a wide load, like Ru)
lol.png

And Holly, goodness gracious, she is fabulous -- I love, love, love her coloring. Her saddle area and tail just really charms my eye (well eyes – both do work and are dazzled)

ok i have finally decided where i am retiring too.. right next door to cyn.. maybe i can sneak a couple of fertile eggs from her or a hen or roo.... you have the nicest looking flock
wink.png

Oh, thank you! I try to keep them healthy and clean (don't look at my coops right now, though! I really want to use the compressor to blow out all the dust, but it's too cold to keep them outside all day just yet and the roosts need resanding and oiling, etc, etc. There's always an "etc", isn't there?).

Cyn, thanks for posting those pics. I now am in search of some different color leg bands so I can band everyone and keep them identified.

Back
Top Bottom