UPDATED with new pictures OLD INCUBATOR???

You can really tell by the pictures how much the sellers value the item, it holding up their junk collection really well. They are putting a pretty high value on something they don't value. I would not offer more than 25.00 and see what happens. The "lucky" buyer gets to more than likely uncover it, haul it off and clean it up. It may turn into something nice with lots of elbow grease and time. Put a value on your time and effort before rewarding them for not taking care of it.

I think they are cleaning out their Mother's / Mother-In-Law's house. They are having a big yard sale this weekend and I get first chance on the incubator it I decide I want it. It would be fun to fix, but 7 feet long is huge. She says it is too heavy for her to move and look for a label. Her hubby says 100.00. It might be worth it. Unfortunately I need to decide before Saturday AM and probably before I see it in person. Keep the input coming, it will just help me decide.

--Barbara

Buy it! I have one that I plan on converting. I have the foam bators that I plan on taking out all the hardware to put in this redwood one. I have a cabinet gqf so I am not in too big of a hurry, but those redwood ones are suppose to be really good. I just can't imagine trying to run it on keroseen. Electric is available today!

If nothing else it might end up making a nice brooder. THe one we made cost at least $100 in material, but of course I would offer less.

Take 5 twenty dollar bills and offer 3, waving them around. Keep the othert 2 in you rpocket.
If they take the $60 great, if not you still have some wiggle room.

Even if you give $100, you are getting a real piece of Americana. Plus, it is going to someone who will value it.

Quote:
You really have to ask yourself what it's worth to you. Your time is worth something too. They're just hoping to make a mint on it because it is old. But not all old things are valuable. Condition counts for a LOT! Just judging by the pictures, this thing has been around the block more than a few times. Though that's not to say that I think it looks hopeless. It probably could be stripped down to bare wood, varnished and made into a beautiful incubator/brooder.

I think the fan we're all seeing down on the bottom shelf has absolutely nothing to do with the unit itself. More likely, it's just another piece of their crap that has been collecting on/in/around the poor thing for the last 30 or so years. Dang! The more I look at those pictures, the more I wish I could go to that sale this weekend! There's all kinds of junk goodies laying around that place!
lol.png
And that all appeals to the pack rat in me!
gig.gif

That's a tough one babsbag....to buy or not to buy. I'm with the others who advocate NOT offering their full asking price....negotiate dear! You might just come away with the deal of the day! Money talks and you-know-what walks....Too bad they are a 2 hour drive. Going that far just to look at it has you over a barrel in their eyes. Have you told them how far away you are already? If you haven't, then DON'T!! They don't need to know how badly you want it. And someone would have to want it pretty bad to travel 2 hours.

Whichever way you go, let us know what you decide. Good luck on getting a good deal if you should decide to go for it! It's going to need a LOT of work, but could be well worth the effort.

It looks cool, I would buy it for 100$ and decide what to do with it later.... work & storage table in the shop, minor modification to make it a brooder, snake house, lots of modification to be an incubator, really tall coffee table, TV stand, side board..... We like recycled furniture. Lots of interesting things you could due with it. Clean it up, oil the wood, see what it 'says' to you
smile.png

Quote:
You really have to ask yourself what it's worth to you. Your time is worth something too. They're just hoping to make a mint on it because it is old. But not all old things are valuable. Condition counts for a LOT! Just judging by the pictures, this thing has been around the block more than a few times. Though that's not to say that I think it looks hopeless. It probably could be stripped down to bare wood, varnished and made into a beautiful incubator/brooder.

I think the fan we're all seeing down on the bottom shelf has absolutely nothing to do with the unit itself. More likely, it's just another piece of their crap that has been collecting on/in/around the poor thing for the last 30 or so years. Dang! The more I look at those pictures, the more I wish I could go to that sale this weekend! There's all kinds of junk goodies laying around that place!
lol.png
And that all appeals to the pack rat in me!
gig.gif

That's a tough one babsbag....to buy or not to buy. I'm with the others who advocate NOT offering their full asking price....negotiate dear! You might just come away with the deal of the day! Money talks and you-know-what walks....Too bad they are a 2 hour drive. Going that far just to look at it has you over a barrel in their eyes. Have you told them how far away you are already? If you haven't, then DON'T!! They don't need to know how badly you want it. And someone would have to want it pretty bad to travel 2 hours.

Whichever way you go, let us know what you decide. Good luck on getting a good deal if you should decide to go for it! It's going to need a LOT of work, but could be well worth the effort.

smile.png
I pretty much agree with Serrin, except the part about stripping it down. That procedure may well take away the charactor of the piece and consequently some of the value. I think i'm at the point now where i say " go for it". Please let us know the outcome and maybe better pics once you get it.
cool.png

I am currently trying to buy one of these from one of my Amish neighbors..I offered him $100.00..he is thinking about it. It is Kerosene run and was used 2 yrs ago. I would convert it over to electric..he siad it held around 225 eggs..?..the one I am looking at is not 7ft but more like 5ft long.

Back
Top Bottom