Upstate NY question about becoming NPIP certified

iluvmichick

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
I'm not sure where to post this question~ so I hope this is a good spot. I have had chickens for about 5 years now. I started with 6 then 6 more and a few months later I bought 12, anyhow, I now have about 80 chickens:) My family thinks I'm crazy and I'm called the chicken lady. I can't help it I love them! I guess I'm still going through the wanting every color egg phase so I have quite an assortment...lol. So, I have been hatching and selling chicks to help offset some of the expenses. I have had several people ask if I am NPIP certified. Can someone help me with this? I don't show my chickens or anything but I want to know if this is recomended to have your flock certified to sell or if it doesn't really matter. Does this need to be done every year? What program do you go through to get this started? Thank you in advance for your help:)

Yes, you should get certified. You should be certified before selling hatching eggs or birds (including chicks) across state lines. The testing usually includes everything you'll need tested to show as well, so it's two in one.

Contact your state vet and ask them for details. The exact details of the program vary a bit state by state, so better to get your information there than from us on here, unless there's another NYer that's recently gone through the procedure.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/osa-npip.pdf

Your state vet will put you in contact with your local tester, let you know price and the specifics of the program for your state. Good luck!
smile.png

Here's the # for New York State Ag & Markets: 1-800-554-4501. Ask for the Dept of Animal Industry & they'll be able to give you contact info for the tester that covers your location.

Thank you so much! I just sell the chicks local (not accross state lines), I appreciate the information and will contact them for details on what I need to do. Is this something that has to be set up yearly? Could you tell me exactly what NPIP means? Thanks, Love this site for the great information!

National Poultry Improvement Plan

Yes, birds are tested annually. There have been some year to year changes. Last year they tested a random sampling of 30 adult breeders.

NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND MARKETS
Division of Animal Industry
10B Airline Drive
Albany, New York 12235

1-518-457-5558

www.agmkt.state.ny.us

Dear Flock Owner: The Department of Agriculture & Markets certifies poultry flocks in New York State for the National Poultry Improvement Plan. An NPIP US Pullorum - Typhoid Clean certificate may be required by poultry shows or by purchasers seeking birds or hatching eggs from your flock. To qualify, all birds in the flock over four months of age (max 300) must test negative to a pullorum typhoid blood test. In addition, NPIP applicants are subject to a flock inspection on the day of the test. If you do not hatch eggs or do not sell/donate fertile eggs for hatching, your flock does not need testing to obtain certification. However, your flock must receive a satisfactory rating on inspection. An NPIP application must be completed every year prior to each flock test and/or inspection. If interested, please submit it as soon as possible so that we can schedule your flock test and/or inspection for this year. Your flock does not need an NPIP certificate just to exhibit at New York county fairs or the NY State Fair. You may test any birds that you wish to show within 90 days of the fair or you must supply a certificate indicating the birds originated from an NPIP clean flock or hatchery (ex. Murray McMurray, Moyer). If you use an NPIP certificate for purchased birds it is only good for the year of purchase. "Pullorum clinics" are held throughout the state in spring and summer months to accommodate those who do not need an NPIP certificate. Individual birds that are tested at a clinic will be considered "pullorum clean" for 90 days after the test. This should carry you through the fair season. For clinic dates, contact the poultry superintendent of your fair or the local 4-H or Cornell Cooperative Extension. Also, check the department website or call the phone number listed above to contact the Animal Health Inspector in your county for questions about upcoming clinics. Flock owners that sell out of state should contact the state or country of destination to determine their import requirements.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have about 80 adults and they test 30 of them (different colors/different breeds). The did some silkies, brahmas, a faverolle and leghorns). They get NPIP bands put on them, but she said if they start bothering the birds you can clip them off. I don't mind them though.

Back
Top Bottom