URGENT - Advice needed please - My newborn chick can't walk properly!!

One of mine had some trouble walking, and we took her out on some old thick bathroom carpeting and got her up and walking. We did this a couple of times a day, as she preferred to hobble around on her hocks instead of getting up, but after a couple of days of "therapy" she started walking on her own. She graduated to regular carpet, and then back in the brooder on paper towels, and eventually shavings like the others.

She is now big and strong as any of the others.

Hope that info helps. Good luck!

Thats cool. I had some chicks werent walking right and come to find out I didnt have the proper towels down so they were slipping too much. I switched to terry towels for the first week, then shavings.

Hows the little lav pekin? What did the doc say? I would splint any chicks toes that curl under. And the other leg could be ok, like you say, just compensating for the curled toe one.

Hi there,

Thank you all ever so much for all your kinds words of advice...

An update....

I spoke to the vets, and she said that it should be fine, and that it might of been caused by the way she was laying inside the egg, so some sort of cramping... and that she should be fine in about a week.

I did put a cardboard shoe on her, but the next morning it came off, although it did make a huge difference to her...

Yesterday there was lots of improvement, and today is even better, she is more or less walking just like the others now, which is fantastic.

So now she is almost as strong as the others....

Thanks Everyone.....

xx

wee.gif
ya.gif

Hi all,

Just to let you know, that although she seemed to of improoved, and is alot stronger now, she tries not to walk on that leg now, keeping it bent up. only using it to balance when trying to walk. i have felt everywhere around her leg, and no where does she seem to be in pain, but it is strange that now she doesnt want to put it down.

I think i will be taking her to the vets in the morning, if she hasnt improoved.

Hi

yes we have been doing that, she seems fine about it too, thats what me me think about the fact that if its not hurting, then why is she not putting her foot down?

This condition is observed only in young growing chickens, usually those under six weeks of age. The twisted leg condition is referred to as "perosis" and is caused by a nutritional deficiency of a vitamin named "choline." This vitamin is important in the formation of cartilage that maintains the stability of the hock or ankle joint.

Perosis appears in only one leg of each affected chick. It is a completely different problem than when both legs are damaged, as in "spraddle legs." Spraddle leg is commonly caused by injuries that a chick receives when other chicks pile upon it or when the chick is placed on slick flooring soon after hatching.

Older chickens do not suffer from perosis because the bodies of mature birds develop the ability to manufacture or synthesize choline, but young chicks cannot.
big_smile.png
It is important to provide starter and grower diets that contain adequate amounts of all vitamins, especially choline. Water containing vitamin supplements will ensure that perosis does not develop in young chicks.
big_smile.png

She seems the same today, so we have now put a band aid on her legs, on advice from the vet... she doesnt like it though... poor little chick.... she is trying to take it off, but hopefully she wont, she is only 4 days old, so keeping fingers crossed now, that this is successful, she is such a lovely little chick.. we have name her "Pingu", and will keep you all posted on her.

Thanks everyone!!!

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom