"Urgent" baby turkey won't eat, drink

jam1234

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
I have a baby turkey, its over a week old? It would only eat bugs and was fine the past couple days. Then yesterday gave him 3 crickets. He seem to be fine until this morning. (We could never get him to eat the store bought feed). This morning it could barely stand up, it won't eat, drink and acts really weak. It's been sleeping most of the day but seems to be breathing steady, It had dark brown runny poop earlier am. We were able to get a few drops of water in him through out the day but still not active at all.

If you can get some poultry electrolytes in him ASAP, do. If you don't have poultry electrolytes, a 50-50 solution of Gatorade and water will work in a pinch. Administer via oral syringe if you have to. Switch to large mealworms and see if that will get him to eat. High quality dry cat food soaked in water & pushed down his gullet with a Q-tip or chopstick may help. Some turkey poults just don't "get" the whole eating-feed thing for awhile, and have to be force-fede a few times a day until they outgrow the non-eating phase. Good luck!

Just had a day old turkey die this morning, now I have another one that's not looking to good. I can't get it to eat or drink. I'm get a dropper and giving it vitamin water, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I can't get it to eat. I have got the food wet and the other turkeys are eating it, but I can't get this little one to eat it. I put it back down in the box and and it just lays down and sleeps. PLEAS HELP!

Back
Top Bottom