URGENT!! DUCK GOT ATTACKED + BROKEN WING. PLEASE HELP

Pics

Lindsey_Pulver

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2021
My white Pekin duck (one year old) recently got attacked by a dog about two days ago, his wing is broken that much I know. It seems that (maybe) some flesh had been torn off of the initial wing around the shoulder/elbow The stem/blood feathers are exposed perhaps due to other feathers being ripped out. It's very tender in the ulna(?) Area. I'm concerned about an infection since the visible skin is blackened, I was wondering if this could be bruising or if it's an actual infection? Maybe dried blood? I applied vacitracin from the start as well as clotting powder, the wound was cleaned and wrapped WITHIN 24 hours of the incident. Do you think it's an infection and in that case should I amputate at the elbow? His poop looks normal it's not a watery green that I have seen in ducks with infections. The duck is as energetic as usual. Eats and drinks, and moves as he pleases. Could anyone tell me the signs of infection in ducks??
This is URGENT. Anything is helpful. Thank you.

Thanks for the pictures -unfortunately, it is hard to see what's really going on under the feathers. If you could clip a few of the feathers, and post a few more pictures that would be great.

Normally with bite wounds, you'll see significant green discoloration on the skin which is simply brusing; if you are witnessing necrosis (blackness) it is possible there is a lack of blood flow to the area due to the injury - in that case, the wing may need an amputated. If the blackness is merely superficial, it's likely you're seeing dried blood.

If you have already flushed the wound well, I would simply continue applying the ointment you have daily. If it were mine, I'd start her on antibiotics - you can find some here.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Monitor the bird's water intake, and ensure she's eating enough. Weighing the bird on a gram scale is a great way to determine whether supplemental tube feeding will be needed.

Maybe keep the duck separate from the rest until a full recovery... Just to avoid them pecking at blood spots ect... Do you have a dog cage
He has an entire room to himself separate from the others, a special quarantine room. Usually I'm quite prepared for these things. It's hard to keep my head when I've never seen a broken wing AND wound though. This is my first time with an account on BYC I have been using it for a couple years now, just reading others posts and taking that information.

I would really go to an avian vet. Home amputation rarely goes well. You need a completely sterile environment, and you need to be able to stem off any bleeding because they can quickly bleed out in seconds. It's also extremely inhumane as you have nothing to stop the pain. It would be like someone cutting your arm off with a saw while another person held you down.

Even if you can only get access to a regular vet, it's better then nothing. I hope your guy heals quickly! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom