Urgent duckling sick!!!!!!!!

Getting sugar to the brain is essential to helping this duckling function normally.

If humans consume sugar it causes a spike in the blood sugar witch damages artery walls and the body sends its own cholesterol to patch it up (our bodies manufacture it so eating cholesterol really doesn't affect levels unless you eat an unhealthy amount). So that's heart disease for anyone who consumes lots of sugar long term

Giving this duckling sugar WILL help! Do not feed it lots of sugar long term but I have seen baby rabbits come back from death's door by feeding a little bit of molasses and yogurt.

Also I find that in younger ducklings pelleted feed can be hard to consume so crushing it just a little might help.

This baby needs sugar! Vitamins might not be able to help quick enough!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-112249.png
    Screenshot_20210227-112249.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210227-112321.png
    Screenshot_20210227-112321.png
    197 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210227-111922.png
    Screenshot_20210227-111922.png
    182.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210227-111853.png
    Screenshot_20210227-111853.png
    357.1 KB · Views: 4
I have recently been mentioning how vitamins have made such a difference for me. Sugar and Gatorade are the opposite, I'd even go so far as to claim Gatorade causes cancer. I'd never touch the stuff or give it an ailing chick. I see it as radioactive electrolytes (what are electrolytes? Watch the film Idiocracy). And ps, no I do not believe it will turn people into the Hulk, radioactive man, spider man or superman...
But seriously feed it some vitamins, what is popular on this site is poultry nutri-drench.
I know yours is a duck and it is for poultry but vitamins are vitamins.

I actually feed mine human vitamins.
Normally I would agree with you about feeding those artificial dyes and sugars to an animal (a baby at that) but gatorade can be easily found and it has been used successfully many times. I prefer to give my ailing babies a homemade mishmash of Yogurt (a natural source of probiotics to get that tummy going and avoid stasis), molasses (gets sugar to the brain to get systems functioning normally), feed (to give that baby something to digest), and lots of water (the most natural form of hydration).

But sometimes people don't have all these things on hand and gatorade is the fastest form of hydration and calories.

The article I linked points out that the active ingredient that hydrates in Gatorade is water.
So I honestly do not see the advantage of feeding gatorade over water. It is even better to feed sugary water sure but even better is honey + water and as you point out the most recommended is molasses + water.
Electrolytes do not benefit chicks whatsoever so the only advantage gatorade has is a heap of sugar, artificial sweeteners and dyes.

In the past few years they have brought out water called smart water. This is just a marketing gimmick, people can gladly use smart water but it won't make their chicks any smarter.

Back
Top Bottom