URGENT: HELP with my Baby Chick head in unnatural position!!!!!

Huny

Songster
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Sunny Southern Arizona
I went to look into the brooder with my newly hatched chicks and I saw one on its back in the corner, shivering. I don't know how long it had been like that but it was very weak and almost gone.

I figured it had got cold (it was away from light and other chicks) so I grabbed it and put it in the incubator to warm it up. After a while I looked and it didn't look better so I decided to keep it with me, keeping it warm on my lap and "body heat" It's been a couple of hours now, and I noticed she'll just rear her head back like she's straining her head upwards, then she keeps her neck outstretched for a little while and jumps all over the place (and far!). One time she did this in a Brooder and she flipped on her back, stretched out her legs and I thought she was gone, but she came back to me.

I am feeding her some gatorade, and she seems to take it and drink. But out of the clear blue she will bend her head back at that unnatural angle and then leap out of my hands and I think it's the last of her, and then she is fine again

HELP !!!

Last edited:
I had a chick do that once. For us it was a vitamin defiency. Try poly vi sol infant vitamins without iron. You can also try vitamin E and selenium, but I don't remember the dosage anymore. PM dlunicorn, she helped me with my chick and the chick survived.
hugs.gif
Good luck!

Sonja

A second one just started to do the same thing, weak, now pulling its head back. The first one is still alive but barely. I gave duramycin and poly-vi-sol but the first just threw it up. Anyone have anything like this?

5 day old New Hampshire Red Bantams
pulling head back, almost broke position, or twisting around like the exorcist then jumping or leaping right afterwards.
Getting weaker, act as if sleeping or resting then pull head back and go bug-eyed and jump around (like I would if I were choking).

Back
Top Bottom