Urgent please help my Chick

The chick appears to be gasping and having severe trouble breathing. How long has it been like this? Have there been any other chickens in the flock who have had a respiratory infection in the past or recently? Can you get to a vet? Do you have any antibiotics such as Baytril, tylosin, or oxytetracycline? Viruses such as Newcastles disease could be possible, or a bacterial respiratory disease may also be a possibility. Gapeworms can also cause this, but I reslly worry about Newcastles. Offer water and electrolytes to the chick, but be careful, since it may choke if you force feed.

How long has it been like this?
- From yesterday
Have there been any other chickens in the flock who have had a respiratory infection in the past or recently?
- No
Can you get to a vet?
- No
Do you have any antibiotics such as Baytril, tylosin, or oxytetracycline?
- yes, enroflaxin 10% oral solution.
Offer water and electrolytes to the chick, but be careful, since it may choke if you force feed.
- okay & Thank you.

Last edited:
Since you are in India, I would go ahead and treat the chick with the enrofloxacin. Dosage of the 10% is 0.05 ml per pound twice a day for 5-6 days. That is a very small amount, half of 0.1 ml. That would treat MG, but if it is a virus, it might not help, but could help prevent a secondary bacterial infection. Please let us know how the chick gets along.

Back
Top Bottom