Urgent please help!!

Caitlin2013

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
Maine
It started with one goat and now it's turned to both of them. Their screaming in pain, their walking backwards and falling down. I thought that it might have been bloat but baking soda hasn't helped at all for these guys. There is no vet open anywhere near here and my goat friend is out of town for the weekend and wont answer. Please help me, I need to find these guys some relief!

baking soda only changes the acidity and helps them regurgitate. u need to break up the foam part of the bloat; different oils work. some swear by olive oil, others use veggie oil, or parafin but u have to be careful how u administer it so they dont aspirate into their lungs.

secondly, are they blind? walking backwards and blindness are signs of goat polio (not like human polio, its a lack of vitamin B1, and underskin shots work miracles for this.

also some other disease from eating moldy food, could be that...

pneuomonia? (if they are standing with their legs splayed and heads down, trying to breath.

take their temperature.
did they get in to any kind of sprayed pasture or forage./
if they both have it it sounds like something from the outside (poison or food issues),
a pic could help (or video).

can u not just put them in the car and go to a regular vet. many regular vets can do basic checks even on a ruminant, like listening for crackles in lungs for pneuomonia, etc. and a regular vet can get online with a large animal vet to get further info. (ive dont that here in israel when rushing off with a lamb to my dog vet; they got on line for help with a large animal vet somewhere else in the country.)

Back
Top Bottom