Urgent! Quails pecking each other

BirdsRDinosToo

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
I have 4 quails 2 golden Italians Tibetan and common brown I have encountered a huge problem. They are foghting

Quail 1
Pecks: Male
Quail 2
Is bullyed by: Quail 3
Quail 2
Pecks: No one
Is bullied by quail 1 and 3
Male
Is bullied by: Quail 1
Quail 3
Pecks: Quail 1&2
Is bullied by No one (and is compatible with male
I have split apart the quail

1 with 2
Quail 1 pecks quail too but not as much
And 3 with male

I want to know what to do and if I need to seperate them and for how long?

I have 4 quails 2 golden Italians Tibetan and common brown I have encountered a huge problem. They are foghting

Quail 1
Pecks: Male
Quail 2
Is bullyed by: Quail 3
Quail 2
Is bullied by quail 1 and 3
Male
Is bullied by: Quail 1
Quail 3
Pecks: Quail 1&2
Is bullied by No one (and is compatible with male
I have split apart the quail

1 with 2
Quail 1 pecks quail too but not as much
And 3 with male

I want to know what to do and if I need to seperate them and for how long?
It sounds to me you've got the pecking order figured out! They will do this all the time, it's a line of order! Quail 3 is the 'big mamma' and is at the top of the pecking order. It would be a problem only if she were seeking out a bird and nonstop pecking her, otherwise this is normal.

It sounds like you have two males. This is a problem. Unless you have a lot of space, you're not going to be able to keep two males together. You should have one male to three to five females. You will probably see a lot less pecking when there is only one male.

It sounds like you have two males. This is a problem. Unless you have a lot of space, you're not going to be able to keep two males together. You should have one male to three to five females. You will probably see a lot less pecking when there is only one male.
yes, from experience, 2 is 2 much.

It sounds to me you've got the pecking order figured out! They will do this all the time, it's a line of order! Quail 3 is the 'big mamma' and is at the top of the pecking order. It would be a problem only if she were seeking out a bird and nonstop pecking her, otherwise this is normal
Yes Quail 1 was also slightly bleeding but is more territorial than quail 3 but then she’s pecked by quail 3 so is it nesscicary for any seperatuon

Can’t be two males I have had them for almost a year and I have been getting three eggs a night however that has stopped because it’s winter

How much space do you have? What is your setup like?
Pretty large for 4 quails if we were being factory farmers and thinking about 1sq ft a quail I could easily fit in more before they get stressed (not that I would overpopulate the enclosure

It sounds to me you've got the pecking order figured out! They will do this all the time, it's a line of order! Quail 3 is the 'big mamma' and is at the top of the pecking order. It would be a problem only if she were seeking out a bird and nonstop pecking her, otherwise this is normal.
Is there anyneed to seperate them

Back
Top Bottom