US Senator Telling Brig. Gen. To call her Senator not Ma'am?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjdward

How bout them DAWGS!
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Buchanan, Georgia
Did you hear about this? Here is what Sen. Boxer(D) California said to a Brig. Gen:
"You know, do me a favor," an irritated Boxer said. "Could you say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am?'"

"Yes, ma'am," Walsh interjected.

"It's just a thing, I worked so hard to get that title, so I'd appreciate it, yes, thank you," she said.

"Yes, senator," he responded.

This just makes me so mad.
somad.gif
Maybe I'm wrong but I just think she was way out of line. What do yall think? Don't want to get this thread locked so keep it clean and on topic please. Lets hear it?

She needs to get over herself -- he could call her a lot worse, and a lot of people do!!
lau.gif
She's talking to a Brig. Gen for cryin' out loud!!!!

What if she called him Mister instead of General?

I think it's proper to demand the respect for the title you have earned...

You don't call a Doctor "Mister" or "Miss" because they have earned that title of Dr.

Manners are truly a thing that are slipping in this country. Unless folks are called on them, they will never respect them.

You are in the South - you should get that
wink.png

Quote:
Being from the South, I do call my Dr. Sir. I was raised that Ma'am and Sir were above all titles. But that is just me.
wink.png

"However, Walsh surely meant no disrespect, as military protocol advises that officers may use "sir" or "ma'am" when addressing anybody higher than them on the chain of command.

"We would call them 'sir' or 'ma'am' or 'senator such-and-such'," Army spokesman Lt. Col. Nathan Banks said. Banks said any of those terms would be "appropriate" when addressing a senator. "

I can go put my name on a ballot and there's a chance I'll get elected - it happens... you can still call me Miss!! Big difference between running a campaign (especially for offices with merely an age requirement) and earning your way to Brig. Gen. or even a doctor! I'm very closely related to someone who's been an elected official for a loooooong time and he would NEVER correct someone for calling him mister.. he's just not that into showing his authority over people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom