USDA inspection? For local farm market

Quote:
Be aware that this means from your front door. If you leave your driveway to sell eggs to coworkers, family, etc. you must have your vendor license.

We live a mile and a half down a private road. I figure I will sell to the neighbors. The road is owned by all of us, so I THINK I should be okay. I don't have many pullets, 7 at this point, so I won't have much left to sell.

AKBB - Just got this e-mail from Kodiak's food safety rep (ADEC).

"Eggs from personal backyard flock can be sold to private individuals – general public. They can not be sold in stores or used in permitted food service facilities, e.g.; Restaurants, Bakeries, Food processors, caterers, etc. unless they exceed the restricted egg tolerances for the United States consumer Grade B as specified in 7 C.F.R. Part 56 and 9 C.F.R. Part 590, adopted in 18AAC 31.011.

I would definitely recommend washing them to remove fecal contamination and possible bacteria or viruses. Mil-Std-3006 says the wash water should be 20 degrees warmer than the egg itself. This is to keep the pores in the shell from opening up. They can be treated with oil if desired but if they are to be consumed within a few days,

I don't think that it matters for quality of the eggs."

Guess I'll be doing a little selling to the neighbors!

Huh. That's interesting. I take a dozen or two to the local feed store to sell. I think that they don't make any claims on the eggs... people that buy them know that they come from local farmers, but they haven't asked anything other than if they're fertile. But yes, there will be a sign at the end of the driveway come summer...
big_smile.png
People can come get them if they want to. I don't have much trouble with dirty eggs... I rarely have to clean them, even now with all the mud from breakup. And the gal at the feedstore says she hoards my eggs for herself, because they're so clean and good.
big_smile.png
LOL!

Ohhh...
he.gif

cool.png

Are you just going to sell to neighbors? Do you have a Farmer's Market there? I'm going to try to get in with the one in Soldotna this summer.

so i went to the farmers market meeting this morning. And pretty much all i have to do is make sure my eggs are chilled, Wash them with a diluted bleach, and label them with my name address and phone Number.
(and pay lots of money to the farm market people, and the city)

well the anual membership thing is 80 bucks.
umm u also have to pay 5% comision (sp)
and there is a 5.25% city tax.

but the lady is gonna let me go for a few times for 12.50 a day, plus sales taxs and comission

Back
Top Bottom