Use of “Wolf Urine” to deter coyotes.

Phil2018

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 14, 2018
So we had a coyote grab one of our chickens free ranging in our fenced yard mid afternoon. We have a very secure coop and “large predator” proof outside run. We let them out to roam while we are home, but had left them alone while we were preparing dinner. It left a pile of feathers and she was missing for a couple of hours. Thought we’d lost her but she came back with a lot of missing feathers at the base of her back. No major wound (no blood) just scratches which we are treating with Providine-Iodine.
My question is, we lost our dog 4 weeks ago so the yard was more coyote friendly, would wolf urine on tags around the fence perimeter help to dissuade another coyote approach? I know it will not keep them out completely, but will it help to keep the coyote moving along?
Thanks in advance.

So we had a coyote grab one of our chickens free ranging in our fenced yard mid afternoon. We have a very secure coop and “large predator” proof outside run. We let them out to roam while we are home, but had left them alone while we were preparing dinner. It left a pile of feathers and she was missing for a couple of hours. Thought we’d lost her but she came back with a lot of missing feathers at the base of her back. No major wound (no blood) just scratches which we are treating with Providine-Iodine.
My question is, we lost our dog 4 weeks ago so the yard was more coyote friendly, would wolf urine on tags around the fence perimeter help to dissuade another coyote approach? I know it will not keep them out completely, but will it help to keep the coyote moving along?
Thanks in advance.
I would rather recommend electric fencing.

Thanks in advance.
Running 2 strands of electric fence allows your chickens to come and go out of the fence when foraging for food and they can run back in the fence to escape if coyotes chase them. To be effective Wolf urine has to be reapplied frequently.

Back when I lived in Northern California, we actually paid one year for coyote poop to put around the house to prevent skunks from getting under the house in the crawl space. I asked why wouldn’t dog poop work just as well, we had plenty of that for free! But apparently it doesn’t. Did it work to keep the skunks out? Absolutely not.🤣

Running 2 strands of electric fence allows your chickens to come and go out of the fence when foraging for food and they can run back in the fence to escape if coyotes chase them. To be effective Wolf urine has to be reapplied frequently.
Two strands won't even slow down a coyote. Those things can jump.

Back
Top Bottom