Using 20% Corid as a Drench

Fairview01

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
So if I got this right if i dissolve 3/4 of teaspoon of 20% Corrid in one milliliter of water I will have 400mg/ml roughly +/-. For an eight pound bird I would give 0.2ml of the solution for 5 days.

Is that correct? I am at a loss what is wrong with 2 of my birds age 10-12 months. They are perky, eating like pigs and drinking perhaps more than than the rest and they can barely keep weight on. No sneezing, nasal discharge, foamy eyes. Stool is a bit loose but not what could be considered diarrhea. They've been treated with gentamicin, tylan, sulfamethoxazole and wormed with ivermectin and panacur.

It doesn't appear to be communicable since one of them is with 4 hens and they are all healthy, happy and 'fat' relative to the other 2.

I doubt if it's coccidious since they arent off food and water and no bloody stools but this is the last treatment I can think of. I had one with identical symptoms that died. He's in the freezer so I think I'm gonna thaw him out this weekend and do an autopsy to see if there are any tumors.

Corid 20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg amprolium
Mixed with 10 ml of water, each 1 ml contains 27 mg amprolium
I found a vet's website that said the chicken dose was 20 mg/kg, which is what I based my calculations on.

The formula is:
1 pound, divide by 2.2, times dose, divide by number of mg per ml
1 / 2.2 x 20 / = ~0.34 ml per pound

Last edited:
Corid 20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg amprolium
Mixed with 10 ml of water, each 1 ml contains 27 mg amprolium
I found a vet's website that said the chicken dose was 20 mg/kg, which is what I based my calculations on.

The formula is:
1 pound, divide by 2.2, times dose, divide by number of mg per ml
1 / 2.2 x 20 / = ~0.34 ml per pound

Is there an advantage to giving corid as a high volume low dose treatment? I ask because I'm fairly certain the victim and I will be wearing more of the nearly 3ml dose than goes down the gullet.
Any other ideas about these symptoms that i haven't thought of? They're very good quality genetics but at the end of the day taking them to a veterinarian is not cost effective. I have the machine that made these birds and i can make more this year.

Thanks.

Is there an advantage to giving corid as a high volume low dose treatment?
High volume? If you follow my directions a eight-pound chicken gets just 2.7 ml, which I consider low volume.
I ask because I'm fairly certain the victim and I will be wearing more of the nearly 3ml dose than goes down the gullet.
Have you seen my article on giving medications orally?
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl

An 8-pound bird is pretty big and you should be able to use a 3 ml syringe. Or You could use 3 1 ml syringes.

Your original suggestion would work too, but I don't think one ml of water is enough to mix with 3/4 teaspoons powder.

@casportpony So i was playing with dosages. 1/2 teaspoon of 20% corid powder will dissolve in 13ml of water with a little mixing with the end of a syringe. That will yield 20.8mg/ml which is close enough for me for the 20mg/kg of body weight. I dose 4ml which gives me some room for loss on me and the chicken.

The problem with an 8lb chicken is that it weighs 8lb. I want to be in and done as soon as possible without them flogging me.

So if I got this right if i dissolve 3/4 of teaspoon of 20% Corrid in one milliliter of water I will have 400mg/ml roughly +/-. For an eight pound bird I would give 0.2ml of the solution for 5 days.

Is that correct? I am at a loss what is wrong with 2 of my birds age 10-12 months. They are perky, eating like pigs and drinking perhaps more than than the rest and they can barely keep weight on. No sneezing, nasal discharge, foamy eyes. Stool is a bit loose but not what could be considered diarrhea. They've been treated with gentamicin, tylan, sulfamethoxazole and wormed with ivermectin and panacur.

It doesn't appear to be communicable since one of them is with 4 hens and they are all healthy, happy and 'fat' relative to the other 2.

I doubt if it's coccidious since they arent off food and water and no bloody stools but this is the last treatment I can think of. I had one with identical symptoms that died. He's in the freezer so I think I'm gonna thaw him out this weekend and do an autopsy to see if there are any tumors.
Ivermectin isn't good enough as a wormer.
How much Panacur did you give and how did you give it?

Ivermectin isn't good enough as a wormer.
How much Panacur did you give and how did you give it?

Depending on what reference you read, there are certain intestinal parasites that ivermectin doesnt control-namely tapeworms. The next link clicked may very well say ivermectin does control. I was covering my bases and was trying to save a high quality rooster. I failed. He just comtinued to waste away

The panacur i used is for horses. The instructions i found searching said squeeze enough of the paste into the mouth equivalent to the size of a pea. Not very scientific but that was the only refernce i could find.

Depending on what reference you read, there are certain intestinal parasites that ivermectin doesnt control-namely tapeworms. The next link clicked may very well say ivermectin does control. I was covering my bases and was trying to save a high quality rooster. I failed. He just comtinued to waste away

The panacur i used is for horses. The instructions i found searching said squeeze enough of the paste into the mouth equivalent to the size of a pea. Not very scientific but that was the only refernce i could find.
I believe all of the blogger's posts about using Ivermectin is outdated.
Worming Chickens—Medicines and Dosing Information

I am sure that a pea size amount is not correct.
The Truth About the "Pea Sized Blob" of Horse Paste De-Wormer

Last edited:
What I am trying to say is IF your bird had a type of worm that the Panacur could rid...IF you didn't use enough and if you didn't retreat in so many days he could still have worms. And IF he did have tapes he still has them.

Can you collect some fresh poop and have it tested at the nearest vet's office?

Back
Top Bottom