Using asphalt millings in my chicken run..... toxic?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BackyardPower, May 29, 2014.

1. BackyardPower

BackyardPower New Egg

May 7, 2014
    I've been considering using asphalt millings as a floor in my chicken run. I figured this would give my chickens some grit and make it easier to clean out the run from time to time. It would also keep the mud down. My driveway is currently made out of millings so the chickens have access to them anyways when free ranging. I'm concerned about the possible toxicity of the petroleum based asphalt millings leeching into the eggs. Has anyone found any research to confirm or dispute this idea?

I could use gravel instead, however the chickens will still have access to my driveway most days anyways. Thoughts??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  3. BackyardPower

BackyardPower New Egg

May 7, 2014
    I would agree that asphalt is toxic and made from petroleum products. I can also say that many farms use asphalt millings as an inexpensive alternative to costly stone driveways. I am sure many chickens and other birds and critters are exposed to this product and I wonder if any research can show that it can or has been absorbed by chickens or found in eggs.

4. kazanova

kazanova New Egg

Sep 26, 2016
    Recently I started my own business and decided to repair the parking space in front of my office. After contacting several companies, which gave me unbelievably expensive offers, I found http://www.midatlanticasphalt.com/ . People there were really polite and their services were in a really reasonable prizes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by