using extremely high temps to hatch only females

hatch 1 (under broody- my eggs) 9 eggs hatched, 6 roosters
hatch 2 (under broody- my eggs) 6 eggs hatched, 5 roosters
hatch 3 (under broody- my eggs) 6 eggs hatched, 5 roosters
hatch 4 (under broody- my eggs) 4 eggs hatched, 3 roosters
hatch 5 (incubator- all bought eggs) 33 eggs hatched, 19 roosters
hatch 6 (incubator- mine & bought eggs) 32 eggs hatched, 17 roosters
hatch 7 (under broody) 8 eggs hatched, I think 6 are roosters (maybe only 5)
hatch 8 (incubator-my eggs) 13 eggs hatched -I think 8 are roosters but they will have pea combs and its too early to tell...but I think 8 because of their legs and stance.

So..now you see why I want to find a way to get less roosters.

How many different hens did your eggs come from?

I've read that most hens produce about equal numbers of males and females, but that some few hens do produce more of one gender or the other. So if your eggs mostly came from one or two hens, that might explain the unusual ratio with them. (Doesn't explain the purchased eggs, of course.)

I mean to me that would mean a large number of the eggs wouldn't hatch I don't think genetically a chick will change from male DNA to female due to the temp change. So if what you're saying is correct (which I have no idea if it is or not, lets say for argument sake it is correct) then only the female eggs should survive which if you have a roughly 80% rate of getting roosters that means that the very most 20% of your eggs would hatch.

I would probably be looking at replacing the rooster if you're getting that many males over females.
I agree with that 100% I’ve always had a lot more roosters then hens, I’ve replaced a lot of my roosters this year and have had a lot more success with hens so I would definitely replace your rooster. unless he is super special!

the ratio should approach 50/50 with infinity eggs, but these small hatches that people are referencing are going to have skewed values

Back
Top Bottom