Using Plastic Clear Egg Cartons. Good or Bad? (Pics)

rhino533

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Thailand
Two days ago I hatch my first chicks. It was exciting. The hatch was somewhat successful I ended up with 4 chicks. On the lockdown day I had 5 eggs that were healthy and some that had to be thrown out. The last egg to hatch was coming along well, The chick piped a good size hole in the egg and was moving around a lot. I had to go out for a few hours and when I can home the egg had been kicked around by the chicks that already hatched and the area of the egg that was piped was face down and completely blocked. The chick must of had no air and died. Poor thing. But the good news is I have 4 healthy chicks. (Red sex link) I wing sexed them and it was pretty obvious that there were 3 girls and 1 boy. You can see one of them hatching in this post. I added pics there:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=501543&p=3

I waited a day and just started a new batch of 10 eggs in my incubator. I learned a few things from my first try and hopefully will get a better success rate this time. I've decided to use a plastic clear egg carton this try. I've attached some pictures and just want people’s opinions on if the eggs will be fine this way or should I change something. There are lots of big air holes I added and it's much easier to turn using a carton. I didn't want to chicks to play soccer with the eggs this time that's why I decided to use it.

87952_img_0205.jpg

87952_img_0209.jpg

87952_img_0203.jpg

Last edited:
I would add more air vents if you're going to use them
hmm.png
The eggs need to lose weight (sweat, basically) otherwise the chicks won't have enough room in there to hatch, and you'll have chicks that make it to full term but don't hatch.

If your eggs are fit in there well, turn them but take the lid off the carton.

Quote:
I think I'll cut the lid off then. The eggs fit loosely inside the carton. I used the lid because I worried when I turn them they will fall out.

On lockdown is it fine to keep them in the egg carton small tip down? Can they get out of the egg this way?

I don't see how there is enough room for them to climb out. The top section of egg has to totally flip up and over usually. IMO I think you will end up with alot of chicks getting stuck. I used the paper ones and just cut them down a bit. Worked great!!

Ok I just cut the lid off. I forgot to mention that there are air holes on the bottom of the carton. I added many. Would this work better?

87952_img_0212.jpg

87952_img_0211.jpg

I have a cardboard egg carton I can switch them to during lockdown but would the humidity maybe make it fall apart? Do you think I should cut the carton down a bit?

87952_img_0213.jpg

87952_img_0214.jpg

Back
Top Bottom