USPS charged me $14.10

Has anyone else been charged for picking up their chicks from the PO. I was told by the “nice” lady at the PO that it was because I intercepted the package from being delivered. I went to the PO the night before to alert them about the package and to ask them to please give me a call as soon as they arrive so I could pick them up. Their excuse was that the shipper has to pay on their side for me to pick them up or else they get delivered by the mail man/woman. We have our mail delivered around 6PM and they would be baked chickens in the heat of the truck as we live in South Florida Nevertheless the status on the USPS tracker is not diligently updated so no one really knows where the chicks are. I have another set of chicks coming in and I want to make sure that it doesn’t happen again. TYA
Oh Heck No! In fact, most hatcheries recommend that you let your PO know, up front, that your chicks will be arriving in a day or so, so they know to hold them for you. There should be no extra charge for saving the carrier some work and saving the desk clerk from all the paperwork they'll have to fill out when you have to claim your dead chicks as a loss ... at the PO's expense!

Edit to add: It sounds like someone is trying to sponge a few extra bucks off of you. Talk to the Postal Manager, right away!

You always have to pick up live chicks from the post office and no I have never had to pay a fee for it, I would call and complain to the post master general. did they give you a receipt? did you happen to at least get the employees name
Yes I have the receipt. I had to pay so I could get the poor chicks home in the brooder with food and water. On top of that they were really nasty

The post office actually told me they hold them there and call you to go pick them up and that is same for both chick orders, there was no fee, they will not send them out on the mail truck due to liability. My post master said that is uniform rule
That’s what I thought too. When I picked up my ducklings it went very smooth with no problem and they called me at 7 AM. This time they didn’t call me until 9:30 AM

Back
Top Bottom