USPS charged me $14.10

Has anyone else been charged for picking up their chicks from the PO. I was told by the “nice” lady at the PO that it was because I intercepted the package from being delivered. I went to the PO the night before to alert them about the package and to ask them to please give me a call as soon as they arrive so I could pick them up. Their excuse was that the shipper has to pay on their side for me to pick them up or else they get delivered by the mail man/woman. We have our mail delivered around 6PM and they would be baked chickens in the heat of the truck as we live in South Florida Nevertheless the status on the USPS tracker is not diligently updated so no one really knows where the chicks are. I have another set of chicks coming in and I want to make sure that it doesn’t happen again. TYA

I have to agree with everyone, that I have never been charged before. Last year I got my shipment from IDEAL and the post office called me that I could pick them up a day earlier at a larger sorting facility which was 50 miles away and I was already there doing some shopping so got my chicks early.

I would raise 9 kinds of hell with your postal service. I've ordered 3 batches this spring alone, from 2 different hatcheries and they are VERY good about emails, status, and getting them to me on the date promised. I always leave a post it in my mailbox for my mail lady a day or two prior telling her I'm expecting live chicks. I have the absolute worst postal carrier and I want to let her know that I'm not playing around with my chicks. I live in south central OK and our post offices have told me that they don't send them out with the carriers route just due to them being a delicate package. They call me early in the morning, usually around 8am telling me to come pick them up at the PO. That way, if I'm not home, the carrier doens't have to worry about what to do with a live box of screaming chicks. Since I'm already expecting them that day, I stick around the phone and run straight out to get them when I get the call. I know things could be different for different places, but I remember when I was a kid, my parents ordered chicks and it was the same routine. That was 30 plus years ago before we had internet and all that good tracking stuff. I think the hatcheries prefer it that way to lessen stress on the chicks. So I would definitely be making some phone calls if I were you. Little known fact these days,,, postal carriers aren't even a government job anymore. They are contract laborers and really don't care if they get the mail to the right place. Sad but true. I have to chase my mail all over the county and the nice folks at the post office take my complaints, but they also tell me how bad it is since they no longer do it themselves. But in the end, the United States post office is responsible for our packages if a third party loses them.

My post office delivers the chicks unless they’re specifically told to call for pickup. My Meyer hatchery chicks were delivered. They called me for pick up for my chicks bought from private breeders because the breeders write all over the box to call for pickup.
I know someone in my area who had their mypetchicken order delivered as well. It’s strange.

Back
Top Bottom