USPS lost my eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by famerzellman, Sep 10, 2018.

1. famerzellman

famerzellman Songster

Apr 7, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Totally agree with you! I have had some color variations before in chicks but the blue greys seem completely different from the little black chick. Maybe it is a color variation? I’ll post a picture when they at the tween stage :celebrate it’s the chicks that keep on giving! Hehehe!

WVduckchick likes this.
  2. famerzellman

famerzellman Songster

Apr 7, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Grey chicks are starting to develop barring so I’m going to say these babies are a 100% not croads at this point but instead barnyard mixes. Thanks everyone lots of lessons learned with this hatch!

Attached Files:

3. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    Did any of them hatch with head spots?

famerzellman likes this.
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I still think it is way too early to tell, especially with breeds one is not completely familiar with.
    I've been raising the same breed/variety for a long time. Since I hatch a lot I have to determine which cockerels definitely won't fit into my breeding program. I had narrowed it down to 10 breeding rooster/cockerel keepers late last fall. I lost some to predation and the three that were next for the chopping block were the only ones I had left. One of them has turned out - in the long run - to be a magnificent specimen of the breed.
    I need to go back to keeping a bachelor flock so I can let them get to a year of age before I decide on who to cull.

5. famerzellman

famerzellman Songster

Apr 7, 2016
    Massachusetts
    No head spots out of the three eggs two hatched blue/gray and the other one was black. The feathering on one blue/gray is coming in barred the other one black. The single black chicks feathering is coming in black with white tips

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  6. famerzellman

famerzellman Songster

Apr 7, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I agree but I’ve had chickens for a long time I’ve never seen this must variation in one single breed. That’s why my prediction was maybe barnyard crosses. Even though you would have maybe some variations lavender,splash, and “original”they are not a barring breed so my assumption would be the breeder that sold me these eggs didn’t use a breeding pen for that specific breed resulting in some cross breeding in her flock.

ChickenCanoe and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Or, skeptic that I am, they are just totally scamming people. Grrrr!
    Sorry that you didn't get what you paid for and had to ride the roller coaster that you did.
    Will be curious to see what they grow to look like...hopefully they are all females and at least lay eating eggs for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: