USPS lost my eggs

Pics
My wish is that people that sell eggs and chicks are forthcoming if their birds are purebred or mixes. I also wish that people would keep breeds separate from 3 weeks before and all through the breeding season.
That said, I've only had one breed and one variety of that breed anywhere on the property for perhaps 6 years or so. I continue to get sports of colors and other aberrations from time to time - wrong feather, earlobe, leg and eggshell colors.
These are the correct color and right out of the hatcher a couple weeks ago.
View attachment 1555861
I currently have one batch of chicks (from the same flock the very next hatch) that has a bird with lots of brown feathers and three more that look like Anconas (more white than black)
I imagine some people don't believe me when I tell them that is all I raise.
The breed was brought back from extinction in the 1980s and they assembled 4 varieties from various colors of landrace fowl in Catalonia.
I'm sure there are genes of all sorts of colors that will crop up from time to time.
Totally agree with you! I have had some color variations before in chicks but the blue greys seem completely different from the little black chick. Maybe it is a color variation? I’ll post a picture when they at the tween stage :celebrate it’s the chicks that keep on giving! Hehehe!

Grey chicks are starting to develop barring so I’m going to say these babies are a 100% not croads at this point but instead barnyard mixes. Thanks everyone lots of lessons learned with this hatch!

Attachments

• 3E5E7BD3-BFAB-4959-BCFD-8D8838679E7C.jpeg
    3E5E7BD3-BFAB-4959-BCFD-8D8838679E7C.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 6
  • D4D73E8B-4AF2-48FE-A255-9DF999B13195.jpeg
    D4D73E8B-4AF2-48FE-A255-9DF999B13195.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 4
I still think it is way too early to tell, especially with breeds one is not completely familiar with.
I've been raising the same breed/variety for a long time. Since I hatch a lot I have to determine which cockerels definitely won't fit into my breeding program. I had narrowed it down to 10 breeding rooster/cockerel keepers late last fall. I lost some to predation and the three that were next for the chopping block were the only ones I had left. One of them has turned out - in the long run - to be a magnificent specimen of the breed.
I need to go back to keeping a bachelor flock so I can let them get to a year of age before I decide on who to cull.

I still think it is way too early to tell, especially with breeds one is not completely familiar with.
I've been raising the same breed/variety for a long time. Since I hatch a lot I have to determine which cockerels definitely won't fit into my breeding program. I had narrowed it down to 10 breeding rooster/cockerel keepers late last fall. I lost some to predation and the three that were next for the chopping block were the only ones I had left. One of them has turned out - in the long run - to be a magnificent specimen of the breed.
I need to go back to keeping a bachelor flock so I can let them get to a year of age before I decide on who to cull.
I agree but I’ve had chickens for a long time I’ve never seen this must variation in one single breed. That’s why my prediction was maybe barnyard crosses. Even though you would have maybe some variations lavender,splash, and “original”they are not a barring breed so my assumption would be the breeder that sold me these eggs didn’t use a breeding pen for that specific breed resulting in some cross breeding in her flock.

so my assumption would be the breeder that sold me these eggs didn’t use a breeding pen for that specific breed resulting in some cross breeding in her flock.
Or, skeptic that I am, they are just totally scamming people. Grrrr!
Sorry that you didn't get what you paid for and had to ride the roller coaster that you did.
Will be curious to see what they grow to look like...hopefully they are all females and at least lay eating eggs for you.

Back
Top Bottom