Utah!

Keeping the water from freezing is a different discussion of heat than heating the coop.

My goal is to keep the coop above 10 degrees -- this is mostly through insulation and chicken body heat. I did give my chickens a 100 w heater (it is a reptile ceramic heater) the couple nights that the forecast was right around zero F, and partly because the transition was so abrupt. Now, they are on their own unless it goes well into the negative numbers. Back in Vermont, I did use a little heater to keep my coop at 6 F the night it was -30 F outside. The people who are in Alaska, some of them are in coastal Alaska where it actually doesn't get any colder than Utah (zone 6-7 for gardening). I know Alaska sounds impressive, but -- depending on where -- Vermont is colder (zone 3-4).

I don't give mine any heat (this is there second winter without heat) i Just let the sun heat the coop up during the day and i only have 5 banty cochins and a standard wyndotte in 4x8 coop they just huddle up at night and during the day they just do there thing they have a run but are scared of the snow so they don't really go out in it to much. I just take my water in at night seeing that they don't drink at night and fill the water container with hot water in the morning and it doesn't freeze. I like to give them a break from laying

Quote:
Great info, thanks!

I read it pretty quick but didn't see anything (cld be blind) regarding chickens in molt. I'm in PC and we've bn below zero every night, some days as well, plus the wind chill.

Since a couple of my new girls got beat up, plus the several in molt - I brought them in the garage. It's about 30 in there and I give them a light during the day. They seemed to appreciate the safety and hv laid a few eggs as well.

What does everyone do for their chickens in molt at freezing or more temps?

ty, julie

Quote:
Knit sweaters...?

cute. I can send you measurements if you want to make one.
tongue.png

But seriously, tonight I discovered what may be their "molting" and not laying issue.... there is one Delaware that is plucking everyone.
somad.gif
I had pulled the new ladies fm the main coop when it looked like they were getting picked on, but noticed no one was getter better. This would explain a lot and wasn't "my girls" that did any of the damage, especially to one I need to rehab. I watched this hen constantly grab and pluck every 2-3 minutes - almost like OCD.

SO, tomorrow I'm going to put her in my coop of 13. This 'should' put her at the bottom of the pecking order and hopefully cure the issue. I'll watch and if she keeps it up sadly she will not live to see Christmas. Don't know what else to do.

It's so different getting chickens fm someone that doesn't give them the attention we do. Our girls come running when we call, they get all excited when they see us, hold their wings out so we can pick them up, etc. These new ones are docile if left alone but scream bloody murder if you try to pick them up and are scared to death to eat anything fm your hand -- even fresh corn. I hope we can eventually win them over. Maybe fixing or getting rid of the 'plucker' will help.

Anyone ever experienced this? (outside of overcrowding where it's common of course)

Quote:
Wow - I didn't know such a thing existed, thank you! I googled and found the BYC thread on it, have you bn able to find any here locally? Otherwise I'll be placing an order. I loved the photos w/googlie eyes & such on them.

Also, do they help w/roos pulling some of the hens' backfeathers? I have just two banty roos and who would think they could do so much damage to a large hen?! I think they must hv a couple "favorite ladies" as only a couple of my girls have a balding spot.

Thanks again, I've never noticed them in catalogs or my chicken magazine. You have quite possibly saved my hen's life!

julie

Quote:
th.gif
That's a bummer about the feather plucking. I've heard good things about the pin-less peepers. Maybe you could try some things to distract her as well? Like hanging a head of cabbage or a Flock Block. They also make anti-pick stuff that help. Here is a link: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/hot_pick.html

I
hear ya about getting other people's chickens. We went through a similar thing last winter when I made the mistake of answering a KSL ad and ended up with some severely malnourished, neglected, frostbitten BLRWs. It has definitely been a trying ordeal, but they are slowly coming around. They've learned to like treats and aren't quite to the coming when called stage... but they don't run in the other direction anymore. In my experience, they just need time. I finally found a treat that they won't run away from (cooked oatmeal and cottage cheese), but yeah, it's sad when you realize how neglected some chickens are.

BTW - For those of you who remember my little disabled chickens, they are still around lovin' life. The two have their own special coop and love to come out and greet you. I also found a website (www.indoorducks.com) and she made a special bootie for the one with just a stump as a foot. I should really post a picture or two here on the forums.

Back
Top Bottom