Utah!

Quote:
I agree - sounds like an urban legend to me. If any licensed doctor or health care worker was treating "a lot" of people, (even more than 1 patient, ESPECIALLY if the patients report getting chicken feed from the same place), then it surely would have been reported to any number of state and/or federal offices - including the state epidemiologist's office. Any doctor who didn't report something like this could lose their license. Also, if this was real, it would have been in the news for sure - can you imagine the news NOT covering a story like that?

Have a good weekend, everyone! I'm off to my baby sister's wedding!
kimbobim

edited to add - thanks for following up on this, Marty!

Last edited:
Thank you for the State's response. I can assure you that IFA feed has been and continues to be safe feed for your poultry. I will follow up a post with a general nutrition break down of our products and then I will put the whole thing to bed. America is a great country where reasonable folks can discuss opinions and I thank this forum for the opportunity. The-Bird-Man is a great guy that was only voicing his concern.
Thank you,
Wayne

thank you for the reply's. up until talking to my doctor i have never heard anything about ifa feed. my doctor is wrong as was i. i accept defeat. i would like to thank you all for setting me straight. knowledge is power and this has helped me a lot. my doctor may just of been saying that i should watch out because even little things cause major problems for my body because well my health is very bad. maybe i did not understand my doctor.. my memory is crap. i would like to apologize to all of you, i did not mean to start a mud war. thank you all for teaching me about this, its why i love this forum. i may just buy ifa feed. i love ifa, some of my best memories as a kid was going to the old riverton store with my dad. i hope there is no bad feeling with anyone. once again i would like to thank you all
smile.png

HI Birdman, I was just surfing around and saw the IFA thread. It was interesting and Im not going to loose sleep over it. I live in Eden, buy IFA stuff and all is well. Please dont apologize, this forum is for bouncing things around and getting other opinions! I havent had my girls long and have asked some pretty funny things, MOST people were really helpful and kind you will find that to be the case too. I agree with the tone of voice thing though, my teenage grandaughter had a real tiff with a friend because a facebook message sounded snarky LOL

Wow, once again I missed all the local posts. weird.
roll.png

But I'm going to change the subject, maybe a good thing? I found the BYC thread on making your own flock block and am so jazzed! I'm getting supplies together, printed out some posts and want to try it soon. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I'm going to try using a Bundt pan as I like the idea of being able to hang it (mice got more of my flock blocks than chickens did).

I'm also jazzed as my chick order will be arriving about Valentine's Day. yeah! I did get carried away (shhh, don't tell the husband) and ended with 40 (well 39 plus the freebie).
celebrate.gif
I may sell the extras and I did order one of every color of a silkie baby for Betsy (my "mite-y" silkie lol). Most of my order is cold hardy egg production pullets but I had to throw in some fun ones.

Betsy had a goopy eye that I think the DE bothered so she had a bath today w/a "fur" conditioner and a fresh washed out pen with no DE. No signs of bugs or eggs so far
big_smile.png
. This little girl will coming RUNNING for a mini marshmallow, she
love.gif
them!

Because I hv so many coming in I'm headed to IFA this wkend for a couple of those long red plastic chick feeders. Any excuse works to shop the big feedstores, it's my kind of shopping!

I hope everyone posts pics of their new babies when they arrive!

julie

my 10 hens come home on saturday
celebrate.gif
i am sooooo excited! got most the coop built. i am thinking of getting my next load of food at the feed mill in lehi, anyone have experience with them and did you like them? i got a 50# bag of oyster shells. i have no idea home much i will need but at $2 more than the small bag i figured i should just get the big bag lol. so anyone know of a good way to transport 10 chickens? i don't have a big cage so i am thinking a bunch of boxes.

Quote:
No experince at Lehi Feed Mill; but I think you could transport 10 chickens in a med/large dog crate easily. I know fm experience that being crowded doesn't hurt/bother them if you are not traveling a long distance. Not sure what you're paying for a 'small' bag of oyster shell but if it's close to 5#'s (ish) bag and you are getting 50#'s, that seems like a great price. Good luck and congrats on the new coop and family!

Would anyone like 3 delawares and 4 NHR's hens? They are 2 yrs this summer. These are the girls I picked up "in moult and not laying" when in fact it was a deficient diet and dark henhouse hence a couple pluckers. I put pinless peepers on (thanks to this board) and all have grown back their feathers. They are laying 2-4 eggs/day and they are in a large dane cage with a brooder lamp in my garage. This is still too small for them but I added a roost which helps.

I have spent a lot of time with them and they are very excited when I come out with treats. I would love anything more than to keep them but my husband has not gotten around to expanding the existing coop & it's too small to add them. I have 40 chicks ariving 2/10-ish (and I'm promised a new henhouse and his 2nd job should be done by then).

I would not give up these girls if I thought there was a way I could keep them. Chances are I'm gonna need that cage for the 2nd stage brooder.

I'll give them away to anyway on this board that wants layers, and hope you won't eat them yet (pls?)... I've spent so much time trying to get them friendly. The largest delaware must be a mix w/americana because she lays the coolest egg colors I've seen yet and they always are different. They range fm a brown/blue to almost dark purple or a dark gray. I know when these girls see sun and can be a real chicken their production will come up. It's a nice little flock for someone that doesn't want to hassle chicks and the wait.

And if anyone's concerned about the little "mitey" silkie I caught it all in time and contained it. All my chickens got DE'd but no one got anything. Little Betsy went immediately into the house, survived her traumatic bath, lived in a large aquarium until I knew for certain she was clean. In fact, after that first momuntal bath I only found 2 dead ones on her. I've inspected her thoughly expecting egg hatching but never have found anything, she's clean and critter free. OH, and she has started laying!
wee.gif

Pls PM me if you're interested in the big girls. Thanks!
julie

Quote:
I am somewhat surprised by you guys getting sick birds from Christie. I got four, month old chicks from her last June and then went back about a month or two later to get some POL Ameraucana pullets and a BWA rooster. They were healthy when I picked them up and when I integrated the two sets of birds none of them got sick. I wonder if she has had something go through her flocks? I know she posted on her website that she would no longer take back a mistaken roo since someone brought back a sick bird. HMMMMM

Back
Top Bottom