Utah!

Oh, you guys. I am so sick...so mad at myself....so sick! Ugh!!!

So I got my Aussie Spot (bantam duck) eggs. On day 5, I candled...all 8 eggs were developing! Shipped eggs from Tennessee! So, so pleased.

Last night before I went to bed, I turned the eggs, ran to the bathroom with the sponges to re-wet them (ducks need lots of humidity from start to finish)...and apparently I got distracted...and forgot to put the sponges back in and PUT THE LID BACK ON THE BATOR. UGH!!!!!!
rant.gif
hit.gif
They went 6 hours without heat. I can't tell you how disgusted I am with myself!
he.gif
I will do a quick candle tonight and see if they look like they've survived, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I could see their little hearts beating on day 5.

Uuuuugh!!!!
somad.gif

And....I got my shipment of bantam wheaten Ameraucana eggs today. Yay! Except when I opened the box, at least half the eggs were either pointy end up or laying on their sides. What the heck, Mr. Breeder person???
smack.gif
So we'll see how well they do.
hu.gif

One of my Serama hens is coughing and sneezing. Sweet Lisa gave me some Denegard. Today is day 4 on the meds and she's about to drink the last of the medicated water. I'm ordering some more Denegard, so should I dose her again, a little stronger this time? Or should I get something else?

I'm just not having a very good day. *sigh* Thanks for letting me vent, chicken peeps.

Oh, you guys. I am so sick...so mad at myself....so sick! Ugh!!!

So I got my Aussie Spot (bantam duck) eggs. On day 5, I candled...all 8 eggs were developing! Shipped eggs from Tennessee! So, so pleased.

Last night before I went to bed, I turned the eggs, ran to the bathroom with the sponges to re-wet them (ducks need lots of humidity from start to finish)...and apparently I got distracted...and forgot to put the sponges back in and PUT THE LID BACK ON THE BATOR. UGH!!!!!!
rant.gif
hit.gif
They went 6 hours without heat. I can't tell you how disgusted I am with myself!
he.gif
I will do a quick candle tonight and see if they look like they've survived, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I could see their little hearts beating on day 5.

Uuuuugh!!!!
somad.gif

And....I got my shipment of bantam wheaten Ameraucana eggs today. Yay! Except when I opened the box, at least half the eggs were either pointy end up or laying on their sides. What the heck, Mr. Breeder person???
smack.gif
So we'll see how well they do.
hu.gif

One of my Serama hens is coughing and sneezing. Sweet Lisa gave me some Denegard. Today is day 4 on the meds and she's about to drink the last of the medicated water. I'm ordering some more Denegard, so should I dose her again, a little stronger this time? Or should I get something else?

I'm just not having a very good day. *sigh* Thanks for letting me vent, chicken peeps.
6 hours is no big deal for your duck eggs. I've done that before only I left them on the counter for their daily cooling off period and forgot them. They still hatched.

Sasha, I bet they're fine. Candle tonight to see, but I bet all will be well. I'm sorry though, I'd be so upset too. Good luck with your new hatch. Hopefully you get a good rate, even though they weren't packed correctly. I think denagard is a good product to have around, so I'd stick with that. However, I'd listen to Cynthia or Sundance over myself. LOL

Sundance, I thought of you when they were cleaning out the coops. I didn't charge them $20. I still think that was brilliant!

6 hours is no big deal for your duck eggs. I've done that before only I left them on the counter for their daily cooling off period and forgot them. They still hatched.

Sasha, I bet they're fine. Candle tonight to see, but I bet all will be well. I'm sorry though, I'd be so upset too. Good luck with your new hatch. Hopefully you get a good rate, even though they weren't packed correctly. I think denagard is a good product to have around, so I'd stick with that. However, I'd listen to Cynthia or Sundance over myself. LOL

Sundance, I thought of you when they were cleaning out the coops. I didn't charge them $20. I still think that was brilliant!
Thank you, thank you, thank you ladies! You've given me hope!
hugs.gif

Sasha, remember my first hatch, the eggs came unplugged and sat all night long, and the bator said 67 degrees in the morning...i thought they were dead and went to throw them out and cracked one open it was alive...then the rest all hatched! Red has two chickens from that hatch, so for sure there can be hope! I have found that the lower temps are not near as fatal as the heat spikes, so I am crossing fingers for you they will be A-ok. Let me know if you need more Denegard, You are welcome to all you need. My new little frizzle is sneezing too, so i was glad I got this new jug when I did! She is in the garage with her medicine, I hope it works. It does not seem too bad, just a little sneeze every now and then so hoping just a tiny bug or the dust from the shavings. Trying not to worry too much. She has not been out at all to the big girls area thank goodness, she is just little.

Last edited:
Posted by ChickChooks...
I was talking to our state vet today as we re-upped our NPIP and asked about this- he had questions, too, so I was reading up just now. It appears that Denagard has proven over the last 25 years that use at a preventative dose in situations exactly like this have NOT shown any resistance at all in various forms of Mycoplasma. In fact, several major studies were done comparing several antimicrobials (antibiotics, bacteriostats, etc) and this was the clear winner! Denagard is prescribed within the poultry industry in other countries as a preventative to prevent infection when outbreaks are known in the area. I think it's fine in this case, too.

Last edited:
I've got a problem and I'm going to cull him tonight if he doesn't improve, my flock is too small as it is to let this spread if it's contagious. This year I've had to accept the "cull first, ask questions later" method of raising chickens. It's beyond frustrating right now, I feel helpless but my other options are just sit here and do nothing.
he.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/778708/young-rooster-cant-use-his-legs-properly#post_11145908
That looks like a spinal injury to me.

Oh, jeez Joybells, that doesn't look right at all. If it is an injury, I wouldn't cull him tonight because it takes longer than that to recover from an injury. I'm so sorry. As a side note, I'll be in Ephraim over Memorial weekend, so if you want a chicken train for something to get down there, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom