Utah!

I've got a problem and I'm going to cull him tonight if he doesn't improve, my flock is too small as it is to let this spread if it's contagious. This year I've had to accept the "cull first, ask questions later" method of raising chickens. It's beyond frustrating right now, I feel helpless but my other options are just sit here and do nothing.
he.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/778708/young-rooster-cant-use-his-legs-properly#post_11145908
Not sure if it has been suggested. But on this where it could be a spinal injury, I would try and get some Dex and see if it helps. You have to get it from a vet or there may be someone who has some that could help you out.

Could it still be a spinal injury if he's still got control over everything below the knee? It's like the upper leg is locked up against his body.
I added a picture of his eye, I just wish I took some control pictures for comparasion when I'd first brought him home.
The closest vet/store is a 30 minute drive. I asked my neighbors but they don't have any. My dad says it's not worth the drive if we're probably going to cull the bird by morning if it's not already dead.

Random picture of SBEL boy on my knee. Really, I can't believe how sweet these two are.

His brother, in the back ground was not happy he was getting all the attention and jumped on my shoulder just after I snapped this picture on my iPad. You can tell he is getting ready to jump. Their combs are both big and red like this.

Anybody looking for a Rooster, my guess is a Cochin or Brahma Mix. Got them from a Preschool hatching, I'm sure these 2 are Roo's, and I possibly have 1 more. They are 6 1/2 weeks old. Hatched Mar 25-26th, so I was told. Any takers. I'm in Cedar Hills, I can drive them up to Salt Lake if needed, and can hold on to them for a while or until they start to crow. And do you think they are ready to move outside. They are outside all day long now, even in the rain the last few days. I have 4 that are this age, and then 4 that are 5 weeks old today. All are pretty much fully feathered but Felix. He's the odd ball with no feathers.

Mr. Roo

Felix-for some reason is very slow at feathering

Sphinx, when is Memorial weekend? I have a chick I'm babysitting that needs to go to Joy. If we could work out a way for you to pick this little one up, if it isn't gone by then, that would be splendid.

Joy, I'm sorry about your boy. I hope you can figure out what's going on. And Lisa, too. Sheez.......there is something going around. The SFH I'm tending for Joy is fluffed up tonight and acting like he/she isn't feeling 100%. So, the babies are all on vitamins, in a couple of days I will switch to some of the Denegard leftover from a couple of weeks ago, and on Friday I am off work, so I will be cleaning the snot out of everything! I don't know if this little one is sick from the stress of moving or if it somehow picked up something from my birds, but I don't want it spreading. Ugh
sad.png

Is Denegard safe to give to hens that you're collecting hatching eggs from? Does anyone know? I was going to start collecting eggs from my Icees in a little less than a week here, but if they're on the medicine and it isn't good for the embryos, I can wait longer to collect.

Whittni -
frow.gif

My EE is done being broody. She has started to lay again and is back outside with the rest of the girls, while her chick is hanging out with the other chicks I have and acting perfectly content. This chick is the one I got from Sundance, and in the last few days he's become super sweet. He comes right up to me and wants to be held and petted and given attention. Cute little guy.

Sasha, don't give up on those eggs!

Yikes, I know I've missed a lot. We are getting such an influx of new people. Welcome, everyone! And I'd better get to bed. My pillow might start beating me again if I keep coming in late.

Joy that is sad to hear, so sorry :(

Silly--those chicks are adorable. Hope they find a good home. I am afraid I am joining the ranks of all of you looking for homes for roosters. I have **several** showing up in my chicks again. Of course the lavender ish EE that I really liked and kept from Diana is a boy. Blue pure Ameraucana= boy. Blue Copper Marans, (gorgeous!) looking like a boy. My lone FBCM I hatched = boy. The younger SBEL I kept from my last hatch= boy.... black turken=boy, 1 of my McMurray EE's already looks boyish...plus the wheatens that just hatched I got at chickenstock, out of 4 I am sure there will be boys in there somewhere, one I am thinking already is....anybody looking for a specific rooster?? You could probably call me and find one right now. Dang.

Lil--Yup that one there looks just like Daloorashens boys did. That is such a bummer, esp where their feathers were so different, I thought for sure you would have at least one be a girl. ugh!

Birdguy that egg is massive! Yum! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom