Utah!

Quote:
How has your experience with the Delawares turned out? I'd love to hear what you think of them - personality, egg production, etc.

I'd like 2 or 3 Delaware pullets (no roos). Please let me know -

thanks!

kimbobim

Help on the Pinless Peepers?!!
fl.gif

No problems putting them on tonight (softened w/very hot water) but my main "Mother Plucker" has rubbed hers off twice now. I've searched this site and googled to make sure I'm doing it right and am confident I am. The short straight parts go right into their nostrils and I've positioned them correctly according to multiple photos I pulled up.

Even the banty roos are staying on. I have one NHR hen who I've put it on (two times now) but each time her nose has bled just a bit. I'm not certain she's a plucker (just in the same cage with the pluckers) so I've left hers off for now. It's the known Mother Plucker that I'm pretty concerned about. I know hers is on right, we waited for it to cool and go back to being stiff before letting her go back in the cage. Yet she promptly rubs it off (I've tried two different pinless peepers).

Has anyone had a problem like this? I don't want to cull her.
sad.png

Also... on a side note and about Delaware's and Marty's order. My pluckers have been Delawares but they were not raised like most of us raise our beloved peepers. In the same batch were some New Hampshire Reds. These ladies have adapted quickly and will now eat from our hands and let us pick them up. Delawares NOT! But I've read many posts what great birds Delawares are and I plan on getting more myself (but from chicks!). I do have one that appears to be a Delaware/Americana mix and she's produced a variety of colored eggs, much to our delight. From blue, brown, green and a very weird dark olive.

Marty, not sure if I'll go in on your order or will need 25 or 50 myself. We're still mulling that over. Oh -- what hatchery are you going through (just in case).

Any help with the pinless peepers and keeping them on would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
julie

cool.png

barnie.gif

I'm sorry to here about your on going problems with the plucker!

I can give you the email address to the kid I sold my mean bird to. He is starting a flock of birds on a farm out on the south west side of salt lake valley. He gave me 10 bucks for my one year old mean girl. I've checked up on her since I sold her and she was indeed working her way up the order there. If your girl is really a tough bird she should be OK out there.

I don't know anything about the Peepers
idunno.gif

Good luck with her.
caf.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I would love to have the info. I'm about ready to give up on all the Delawares.
sad.png
Does he take roos too (the 2 bantys)? I'll be happy to give them all to him n/c. I just need to restore peace (and feathering) in my little chicken community. My next batch will have their own different coop. Do you know if he butchers or is breeding, egg production, etc.?

Pls PM me his info and thank you again!

julie

Love love my Delawares!
Great egg production, sweet disposition, and I've had no fighting/pecking problems. (could it be not enough room, or too little protein in your set up? I've never had to try peepers...)
My wife just 'reminded' me that I (she) wanted to get a bunch more Americanas with this order too...

I'm ordering from Privett Hatchery , and I think they add a buck for each breed less than 25 that you order. (IE: 25 Delawares, 12 Black Sex Links, 13 Americanas would be cost plus $1). Privett is in New Mexico, and is very fast delivery.

No, you don't need to order 25 or 50. Onsie twosies are ok. I'll tack on 50 cents or a buck (or something anyway) to make it worth my while, and give others a chance to order from somewhere other than IFA. (uggg...) Last year I think I charged $3.50 or $3.75 each. Makes it about the same as locally. Has to be cash though. I spent considerable time chasing down payment for a bounced check from a gal on KSL. Not this year!

Marty

Quote:
That's what I've heard about Delawares. I purchased some as adults recently that were "maybe in molt" and advertised as white plymouths/RIRs. I was SO excited when I saw they were Delawares/NHRs but you are right, they came frm a small dark coop w/a bad diet. First several eggs didn't have shells. I thought moult was entirely possible given their age until I watched one particular hen just obsessively pluck any chicken as she walked around (think OCP). She's the one my husband named The Mother Plucker and the one removing her peepers.

I too have never experienced this before. I've always had a very content happy healthy loving flock.

The NHR's have learned we are treats not the boogie man, perhaps the Delawares are just taking longer. I'll give your order some thought. If I buy, I may be buying enough for a complete new coop. We just can't keep up with the demand for their eggs. Delawares are one my wants list for sure!

I just had to post:

MY girls are LAYING!!! i found an egg this morning. I'm so excited to be getting fresh eggs now! I think it was one of my marans since they are a week older than the Salmon Feveroles. *squeels with delight*
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom