Utah!

Jesus, Unfortunately its usually a waiting game. Hatcheries will vent sex them in the first day or two, but I wouldnt recommend trying it if they are more than a day old or if you've never done it before... it can really hurt the chicks. Some breeds you can tell by color what gender they are, but most of the time you just have to wait until they cock a doodle doo!
Post some pics of your chickies on the "What breed/gender" forum after a couple weeks, and for heavens sake, put some pics on this thread as well! Do you know what breed you got?

Whoa how about that thunder huh! My preschool kids are going nuts. One poor little guy is such a mess right now, terrified of the big booms in the sky.
My dog is hiding under the bed....chickens safe for now lol
Thanks Cindy! That baby is so fun. Her Daddy is so cute with her too, love watching him gaze upon her little face.
Good luck on your eggs! I had an early one hatch, the rest are taking their sweet time. I for one do not need roosters. Is the verdict in on your little splash from Cynthia's? Is it red yet?
The little splash is not red yet...everyone who sees it thinks it is a rooster though...I am still not sure.

Jesusfreak, vent sexing is only about 90% accurate, so little roosters sneak by all the time. I agree with ChickunderCover- post pics here and in the what gender forum. odds are though, if you think it's a rooster, it probably is.

I love a good thunderstorm, but this interferes with my plans today. We're making a new firepit, and I set tile on the top of it yesterday. I'd planned to grout it today, but that ain't gonna happen. I was also going to have a girl scout troop camp out in my yard tonight, but that's also been canceled.

I have had the little ones for 2 weeks now.. I will try to get some more pics up of them.

I have:
2 Rhode Island Reds (Little Red Hen & Precious)
1 Black Sexlink (Sarah)
1 Golden Sexlink (Melissa)
1 Silver Laced Wyandotte (Lightening McQueen)
1 Barred Rock (Tow-Mader)

You also have to be careful at IFA (or any feed store I would guess) to check the bin your chicks are in to make sure it says "pullet only". I got most of my chicks at the IFA in SLC and I really wanted a Delaware but those were only sold straight run in that shipment and I didn't want to take a chance. There were a couple breeds that said straight run and the rest said pullet only. I've had suspicions with a couple of mine, but I posted in the gender section and was told pullet for all of them. So fat the only roo I've gotten was from a breeder, but they aren't sexed so you take a chance. Out of the 11 chicks I got at IFA/Cal Ranch all of them (so far) are pullets.

Even with those chances though, who can resist? CAL ranch has some straight run bantams that were begging to be brought home when I went the other day. I called my hubby to say that even if it WAS a rooster, at least it would be a LITTLE rooster! lol. He wasnt impressed.

Does anyone know what the goat ordinances are for the Magna area? I have a buddy that is trying to give away a mama goat that just kidded. Do you think they would go with it just being an extra dog? Haha, a really loud dog? Probably not the best idea with only one tenth of an acre to work with, but I cant help but dream!

Back
Top Bottom