Utah!

Oh be careful! Don't be shooting a gun off in your neighborhood! I had a ferral cat get one of my special heratige RIRs. I bought a trap. A live trap, and I will admit, that the kitty went for a ride. And I love animals! She was a wild one though! So, where she went, had a lot of wild things to catch and eat.
It was awful to see my bird half eaten back there, caught her in the act too!
The trap didn't hurt her, it was a live trap. Put some tuna out in there for her.

Happy..great info..Lisa, did you see why eggs are yellow? Interesting. I don't worry too much about them getting the right food. They pretty much get their bugs and grass, and other table food. The new layers have softer shells I noticed, but I am thinking they will get better in time. They do get chicken feed, but they don't eat much of it now while they are free ranging. So far so good....crossing fingers that all stays well!

Diana, talked with the gal that sent me the eggs today. Told her I loved the color of the maran eggs. She said that they are actually iffy as to whether they are fertile, because the hens are young. I will know by tomorrow night I hope. I may candle tonight to see if I can see the bulls eye. Won't hurt to do that, I hear that some people see it when they candle before putting the eggs in. I'm just hoping I don't see water at the top of the egg, after being a day late in the mail, I wouldn't be surprised. Those never are viable.

Oh be careful! Don't be shooting a gun off in your neighborhood! I had a ferral cat get one of my special heratige RIRs. I bought a trap. A live trap, and I will admit, that the kitty went for a ride. And I love animals! She was a wild one though! So, where she went, had a lot of wild things to catch and eat.
It was awful to see my bird half eaten back there, caught her in the act too!
The trap didn't hurt her, it was a live trap. Put some tuna out in there for her.

Happy..great info..Lisa, did you see why eggs are yellow? Interesting. I don't worry too much about them getting the right food. They pretty much get their bugs and grass, and other table food. The new layers have softer shells I noticed, but I am thinking they will get better in time. They do get chicken feed, but they don't eat much of it now while they are free ranging. So far so good....crossing fingers that all stays well!
If you call animal control they will usually bring you a trap. Just make sure your chickens are up to code.
wink.png

Diana, talked with the gal that sent me the eggs today. Told her I loved the color of the maran eggs. She said that they are actually iffy as to whether they are fertile, because the hens are young. I will know by tomorrow night I hope. I may candle tonight to see if I can see the bulls eye. Won't hurt to do that, I hear that some people see it when they candle before putting the eggs in. I'm just hoping I don't see water at the top of the egg, after being a day late in the mail, I wouldn't be surprised. Those never are viable.

Cynthia - I need you to do a candling workshop for me. Especially for those shipped eggs. By water, are you talking about what I see as thin liquid with some bubbles? And I have never seen a bullseye.

Thought I would share some pics too
smile.png

A pretty EE. I was surprised at her coloring. She's the only one that has these markings. A keeper.

My last batch of hatching eggs, set 7/12. The top lighter ones are from Chicken Junkies. The bluer ones from Madelynbelle.
fl.gif

They are Wheaten/Blue Wheaten. I prefer B/B/S but I'm not finding many sources for those that aren't slim body type. That would be my only temptation at this point, or a guaranteed blue splash silkie like Cythia's. Its the sweetest.

This is a "T shirt" quilt I did for a customer with a basketball theme. The back was minkee. I thought it turned out cute. Any quilters here?

Jesusfreak - Yes, you can protect livestock from any animals but make sure you know the laws where you live. Many cities don't allow any shooting, including BB guns and archery, in the city limits.

Ann

Cynthia - I need you to do a candling workshop for me. Especially for those shipped eggs. By water, are you talking about what I see as thin liquid with some bubbles? And I have never seen a bullseye.

Thought I would share some pics too
smile.png

A pretty EE. I was surprised at her coloring. She's the only one that has these markings. A keeper.

My last batch of hatching eggs, set 7/12. The top lighter ones are from Chicken Junkies. The bluer ones from Madelynbelle.
fl.gif

They are Wheaten/Blue Wheaten. I prefer B/B/S but I'm not finding many sources for those that aren't slim body type. That would be my only temptation at this point, or a guaranteed blue splash silkie like Cythia's. Its the sweetest.

This is a "T shirt" quilt I did for a customer with a basketball theme. The back was minkee. I thought it turned out cute. Any quilters here?

Jesusfreak - Yes, you can protect livestock from any animals but make sure you know the laws where you live. Many cities don't allow any shooting, including BB guns and archery, in the city limits.

Ann

That is so interesting that you showed a quilt! I came on thinking about you! I was going to ask you if you had any pictures of quilts that you've done. This one is really cute! More, more! lol..
Hey, if you want a Silkie, I have a white one..not sure of the sex yet, but looking good, no bumps on the nose, and the chick is getting up there in age, so should be seeing some wattles or something. Just a thought. The blue splash are pretty aren't they?
Yes, water at the top of the egg, and sometimes bubbles will float to the top when you candle. Not a good thing. :( Another bad one is, when you see fluid in the bottom of the egg after it has started to develop. I often see quiters, or, they are the ones that have what I call...the gobbeldy goop stuff when they hatch, or don't make it because they drown in it.

Last edited:
Yellow eggs, antibiotics, ineteresting! So the mama of my little EE that laid that mustard egg may have been on some serious drugs.....hope the chick stays healthy. Those eggs were huge, I wonder what color they should have been without the yellow tint? They were not bluish at all, wonder if this chick will just lay white....or if the daddy might influence the color to be different. I might not ever know because I think it might be a boy :( But still holding out hope.

Cynthia, my Blue Wheaten sister of yours does look a tad pink at the very top of the comb today. Maybe just part of the stage they are at....hope no surprises! The one I am taking to Daloorashens looks about the same, so hoping the three are all girls like they should be. ;)

Happy, thanks for that info, it was very educational! Love that!

Sasha what about Clay is he old enough to be in the fair? He is awfully cute. Hedwig maybe....pretty girl. If mine did not have weird toes I would go with them....Elvis is pretty cute and getting big too! It sounds like the fair here is really low key, Phoenix just said you fill out a tag, they look at it, you put whatever it is and what kind you are showing, and it did not sound like there were lots of guidelines......never done it though so I am nervous to try! But I think the bar is not as high for show quality as it is at the chicken shows. Hope they let me put one in.

Jesusfreak, I LOVE that your chickens might not be in order. Haha, love it! I would be nervous about shooting in the city limits here, there are rules about that.....but I would throw some hefty rocks or get a good sling shot out! You could put some chickens in the garage, hide them all over, then call animal control lol

Moriahquilts, nice quilt, you are gooooood!! Good luck on those eggs, and your speckled chicken is adorable!

Gone to Idaho tomorrow. Better get some sleep so I can keep up with my crazy fun family up there! Talk to you all later, g'nite!

Wow, I agree, she is definitely a keeper! I am amazed at the variety of colors and beautiful markings on the EE's.

This is Great! I agree with Cynthia, more pics please
clap.gif
By the way, what is minkee? (makes me think of a very very tiny chimpanzee
lol.png
)

La Casa De Pollo-
Ooooohhhh! I hope I didn't ruin the mustard eggs for you. I don't know if those were what the chart was talking about. I didn't post the rest of the chart but it was showing how to grade eggs from AA to B for selling. It may have been referring to eggs that were normally white and had a slightly yellowish tint to them that would affect how they were graded.

I looked around and did find a reference to yellow eggs in regards to the Ameraucanas.

Ameraucanas are a relatively new breed of bird. They were developed in the 1970's in the United States. These outstanding birds were developed by persons who admired some traits of the Araucana but wanted to breed out the undersirable, self-limiting factors in the breed such as the lethal gene problem.
97fair10.jpg
They wanted a dual purpose fowl that was practical for both meat and egg production with the unique feature of pastel colored egg shells. Some Commercial hatcheries claim that it is possible to have blue, green, pink, and yellow shell colors. In reality, pink and yellow are stretching it a bit as the eggs are really just light shades of brown. It takes a lot of imagination to perceive a light brown egg as being pink or yellow, but the green and blue shell colors are quite real.

I have seen pink eggs and they really do look pink. I don't see why the yellow ones wouldn't look like the ones that you hatched

Back
Top Bottom