Utah!

I had the pleasure of meeting Daloorashens and her darling family yesterday. Her little boys were sp excited to get the black Cochin and I remembered to bring the red ribbon she won at the fair. I gave her anothe couple of extra chicks I had. They had some blue pain on them. The chicks insist on helping me touch uo the coop with paint so they get interesting colors on their feathers sometimes. It was so fun to see her boys reactions to the chickens. They were wonderful

Thanks SOO much Dianna!! That little black cochin is sure pretty, but she has attitude, it's pretty funny... she spars with everyone who comes by the little pen I have her in to get aquainted and keep her seperate for a bit...

I don't know what's wrong with me but I keep looking at chickens on KSL. We have 8, other than the EE's they should all be good layers but now I'm finding I want more eggs! Right now with 4 layers we get 2-4 eggs a day, usually just 2 or 3. So when we have 8 laying and it's winter...yikes, how will that affect them? Most of them should be good winter layers though. I have one each of Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, Welsummer, Black Sex Link, Barred Rock, Exchequer Leghorn and two Easter Eggers. My husband really wants a frizzle, my youngest wants a fluffy chicken, my oldest wants a Polish. Yikes, I can see where chicken math is a problem!

On KSL i was just reading one ad and the lady said that all chickens virtually stop laying after two years. How true is that? I don't plan on using supplemental light in the winter because from what I've read chickens have a finite number of eggs and if they are able to slow down in winter they will lay longer overall? I don't know. We don't have an easy way to hook up electricity to the coop. It's also only 4x8 (so technically we're at capacity) but the run is 14x15 and they are rarely in the coop at this point. I know that could be different in the winter, but we live in Eagle Mountain and never get as much snow as anywhere else in Utah. Now that I said that we'll get a ton, but if people in SLC get 4-6 inches we get a skiff. Also they are on the north part of our lot so that is the part that thaws first.

So yeah, who has coop ready chickens? LOL

That quote from cynthia is right.. chickens will lay for several years, just a little less all the time... but I had a Leghorn and Plymouth Rock and RIR that laid right up till they died of old age... so I guess it just depends on what is important to you... I also know that hatchery stock may not lay as long as a heritage breed, or chickens you get from a breeder, because hatchery stock is bred usually for egg-laying, not longevity... If you don't put the lights on them it does give them a break and they may lay longer... kind of like us women... they say if w get a break from ovulating from pregnancy/nursing, it's better for your long-term reporductive system health=)

Maybe next year I'll add a white leghorn and a red sex link. They are both supposed to be egg laying machines. For some reason I've read that the different varieties of leghorns don't lay as well as white, is that true? I figure Checkers (the exchequer) will lay well enough and she's beautiful yard candy. LOL hopefully next year I'll get a broody to put two little chicks under so she can raise them instead of me!
I LOVE broodies... I'd much rather let them do the work!!

Hmm, thats very weird because normally they don't start developing any cone etc. for a few weeks. And by the looks of it, he/she is still way to young to tell. BUT (just my 2 cents) judging by its crest size there is a possibility of male however, I've had hens just like that, that after a few weeks have the most gorgeous crests. However, as for the color I would say barred or just not a correctly bred cuckoo. ;) That or you may just get a mix of both colors!
Congrats on your new chicks ^^ So cute!

Lisa...

Ideal poultry just called me because I made a comment on how I had two babies die in my order, and wondered if they could reinburse me for those two since I was still pretty early out. I thought they would just put it back on my card...
So, she asked which ones died...the two Black Crested ones, ok we can send two more of those along with your order ob bantams.
So, if you want, these will go out on Wed. I should get them by Fri. They will be tiny ones.. I guess I can see how they are doing, if they are not up and perky, I can keep the new ones and let them wake up, and let you get the older one, or ones?

Oh ya oh ya! I will do it. Sounds like a plan :) So if they arrive safe and sound I will take one more. Of whichever batch, up to you. Roundest heads are supposed to be female but that fails a lot, so maybe one nice round head and another one you are getting a girly vibe on lol. They actually can vent sex these, I swear they vent sex them and send half and half on purpose, what do you think? Maybe they will send you two likely girls this time though because of the complication.......maybe....wishful thinking here....

That polish picture, I agree with QP, they usually do not show the comb like that (the little spikes up top) this early, that was surprising. Also, the hat looks like the typical boy hat, BUT I have had them be girls, so my faith in that whole crest-sexing is gone. I thought I read somewhere that if it were barred/cuckoo looking and has the gold also, I think that color is called crele? Not sure. I have seen crele polish on the polish thread and they look just like that though as chicks so that might be it.

That is great they are sending you more babies. I still hope the little escapees found a nice place to call home.

Well we got rid of are rooster. He was starting to crow and we can have him in town. So we put the younger girl in with the older. They peck at her when she gets in the way. Some times they chase her around. So she has taken to standing in a corner with her head down, hiding in the nesting boxes or jumping on top of the water bucket which only has maybe 5 in height to sit on. I also have 3 laying for sure. The kids still fight over who gets to go check and get the eggs.

You guys weren't nearly as busy this weekend as I thought you'd be. I skimmed a bit, but I don't remember a lot of what happened, so I won't comment too much.

I hope sundance got one of the black crested so she can have the fun set.

Cynthia, sorry about losing two chicks; I'm glad they're replacing them. That cuckoo looking one DEFINITELY looks like a cockerel in my extremely limited experience- those two little spikes are exactly what my polish boy is doing.

DH and I had a wonderful time in Zion Nat'l Park. We hiked the Subway, which was definitely the most strenuous, technical hike I've ever done- 9.5 miles, three rappels, and some swimming. It was gorgeous and totally worth it though. Got to see some flash flooding too, which was cool.

My lavender is still alive, though she still can't stand up, and feels like she's lost weight. I feel awful for her, she seems really depressed. I'm not sure that she can overcome whatever damage was done to her, but at the same time, I can't put her down.

Sundance, how is your turken?

Sorry about your Lav, SPhinx... sad when they are sad... amazing that you can tell that they are sad!!

More chicks for Cynthia??? You are too funny.. I hope that means Lisa can get what she wants=)

And speaking of... Lisa, if you are going down to Cynthia's, I would love it if you picked up that pullet from her... But cynthia... how much do I owe you?? And I think I misplaced your address, so pm me that again, lol.

DH will be going to UT again in the next couple of weeks, or I guess you're coming up for the fair, aren't you?? Are you going on the day they are doing the poulty show?? If so, maybe I'll tag along with you
big_smile.png
(I think it's on Monday). Either way, hopefully you won't have to baby sit for long!!

Oh, and I decided to get that clean faced amer and blue bantam cochin pullet from Michelle, so I'll be going out that way in the next couple of weeks, too=)

And, since it looks like the weather is cooling... work can commence in haste on the pen at my mom's place, woohoo!!

Mesha, I can get your Am. at CYnthia's no prob. Not sure if we are coming up for the fair, I will let you know! Either way will be up there eventually :) Are you talking about Labor Day Monday? EDIT: I will let you know if I can go that day, just talked to my daughter and she does have practice during the day but does not care if we go to the fair w/o her, she does not like it so much.

Last edited:
You guys weren't nearly as busy this weekend as I thought you'd be. I skimmed a bit, but I don't remember a lot of what happened, so I won't comment too much.

I hope sundance got one of the black crested so she can have the fun set.

Cynthia, sorry about losing two chicks; I'm glad they're replacing them. That cuckoo looking one DEFINITELY looks like a cockerel in my extremely limited experience- those two little spikes are exactly what my polish boy is doing.

DH and I had a wonderful time in Zion Nat'l Park. We hiked the Subway, which was definitely the most strenuous, technical hike I've ever done- 9.5 miles, three rappels, and some swimming. It was gorgeous and totally worth it though. Got to see some flash flooding too, which was cool.

My lavender is still alive, though she still can't stand up, and feels like she's lost weight. I feel awful for her, she seems really depressed. I'm not sure that she can overcome whatever damage was done to her, but at the same time, I can't put her down.

Sundance, how is your turken?

Turkin is doing ok. I have had her locked in a small cage on the patio so she can heal without hassle. Today she was standing up so I am going to let her go out for the day and lock her up at night. She had a sunburn because her naked neck peeled but I think she will do fine. Sorry about your girl

Lisa, yes! Crele..that's what he was selling more of..I'm guessing that's what it/he is. Probably a he, just the way he stands now too. What to do what to do...

Back
Top Bottom