Uudate: Page 4- Polish - What sex are these 20 week-olds? 4 Pics

Atlchick

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
Grayson, GA
One of them is def. a hen, we are getting an occasional egg. Honestly, I don't see a roo in the bunch, so if you do - please tell me what to look for. #1 has a huge round crest, #2 & 3 are smaller, but still roundish, and the blue has a small round crest. They are all about 20 weeks old. Nobody is crowing, yet. None of the crests are 'spikey' like the mohawks I've seen. Thanks for all input!
33447_cp_1.jpg

33447_cp_2.jpg

33447_cp_3.jpg

33447_cp_blue.jpg

Last edited:
In the order of the pics, I think it goes hen, roo, roo, roo. But are you sure the roos pure Polish? Something is different about them (esp. the last two), but I can't put my finger on it?

I bought them at about 1 week from a fellow who said he bought the eggs and hatched them. I've never had any before, so I don't know anything much about them.

Oh, and I thought 2 was a hen because I keep catching her/him coming out of the egg box just as the egg appears.

Last edited:
I agree on the genders, but as the breed the first two I would say that they were full Polish but the others look differently the hair do sure looks different than the other two! I aint sure I am not a pro just my .02 worth!

Got your PM, Altchick! The first is certainly a hen. Nothing rooish about her. Full rounded crest, smooth body feathers, dulled hackle and saddle feathers. The next 3 are a doozy.

The second looks like a hen with a small crest. From that picture, feathering looks similar to the hen in the first picture.

The third is hard to make out. The face is slightly redder than the second bird. I think you're going to have to find out on your own if it's a male or female.

The last is probably a hen. Nice blue feathering, small tight crest. But the feathers are clear and don't lie. I see no droopy saddle feathers or hackles. Chances are, if any of the birds are roos, it's hard to tell because Polish are gradual developers. Sometimes, I see crests change over night.

I think they're all full Polish. Right body type. Crests on some Polish can be small. It's all in the genes. I find this most helpful if you want to keep them in large groups. Not only can they see other flock members and danger better, but this keeps crest pecking from occuring or at least to a minimum. The first hen as a very nice crest for a 20 week old, though. She has enough afro for the lot of them!
wink.png

Adited To Add: In the past, my Polish have been very late layers. They're combs and wattles would turn deep red right at the point of lay. Really, it's not impossible to have early layers but perhaps see if any of the birds will squat for you?

Last edited:
Well, I think a hen and 3 roos as well. Mainly because of the wattles on the last three. I think they are pure Polish, only I agree that the crests are not good on the roos.

Well I am going to step up and say they are ALL hens. The waddles mean nothing, my polish laying hens have huge red floppy waddles.

I sent my polish roo down to my FIL's for bachelor living, and he has saddle and hackle feathers galore. OBVIOUSLY a roo.

To me, these are all hens. All 4 of them. Even my 2 silver laced polish girls have pointy crazy crests, and they give me an egg a day.

Back
Top Bottom