Vacation?

My wife is English, so we do have to go see her family from time to time so I really do not have much choice than to leave them here.... I could probably convince someone to come up maybe 3 times per week. I do not currently have a run, but was intending on putting them out to pasture daily on 3 acres. It would probably be too risky to let them pasture without anyone there, so should I build a run?

I probably will slaughter about half of them before I leave, so the in the coop there would be about 10 sq feet per chicken. Enough maybe????

What are your thoughts? Thanks for the advice.

Ryan

I'd say that unless you have someone come let them in and out every day, change water, check feed levels etc - it may just be best to wait and get the chickens after you return. I have family that lives close and can come daily when I'm out of town and I only have 6 chickens. I know I can leave them enough food and water to last a long weekend or such, but not for 2 weeks.

I leave mine for a few days when I take my horse to competitions but usually no more that 3. I live in a mild climate so heat is rarely an issue for me. If you are in an area where you don't have to worry about high temperatures I personally would think 3 times a week is fine as long as the visits are evenly spread out and you have a really big waterer (preferably several).

OK, so I have already ordered the chicks, so I need to figure out some sort of way to make this work. If my brother is done travelling he will be able to house-sit, if not, it sounds like I will nedd to get someone to come up at least every 3rd day... I live in Seattle, which can get hot in the summer, but is usually not above 80 - also I have about 4 inches of ventilation around the top of the entire coop and two vents through the roof. What do you think guys....

Thanks,

Ryan

I don't see anything wrong with your sq. footage/bird at all. Not sure what ppl are griping about. However, I can't imagine leaving for 2 weeks with them cooped up inside. A run would be great, but even with that, having someone come every 3 days or so should be sufficient. You'll know by then how long your feeders/waterers last and can judge if you need more (ie if a waterer is empty in 2 days, you need to be sure to have at least 2).

Also, make sure you find a trust worthy person. I keep reading about friends/relatives who say they'll come but then don't and all the birds are dead. Horrible.

Quote:
They used to be fun. Now I don't like to get away too much. When I *am* away, I spend the whole time wanting to get home to work on the yard, check in on the chooks and so on.

Pay jettgirl24 to come by and check on them? Or someone else close by? Advertise for a chicken sitter? I am faced with the same problem wedding in vegas need to go to for two days maybe three! And then in August going to Oregon for a week or two!

Back
Top Bottom