Variety of abnormal eggs

kurka0

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 1, 2016
Panama
Hello!
I'm looking for opinions and experiences in the abnormal eggs field.

My girl has been laying abnormal eggs for a few months now. She has laid everything from normal, to weird shape to shell less and even a lashed egg.

She was laying very thin eggs and then one day an egg broke inside her so I rushed to the vet, he cleaned her and gave her antibiotics. Then she went broody and after a week or so, she laid a lashed egg so I gave her antibiotics again. Then she received a vitamins treatment (Tabernil total which has vitamin a, b, c, d, k, etc) and calcium supplement (125g per day). She was blood tested and xray, there was no obstruction nor anything visible but the liver is a bit swollen and her red cells are low, so we started a treatment with iron and a liver protector (proteliv). She was also tested for calcium and she has a good amount (16).

The shell less eggs are her way to go now. After the calcium and vitamin treatment she laid a fart egg, then no eggs for three days and now we have three consecutive days of shell less eggs "laid" at night.

Other general data:
Temperature: Max. 33°C / 91.4°F Min 26°C / 78.8°F
Humidity: Between 70% and 90%
The coop/run is under a tree and a climbing plant. The roof is not too hight. 1.2m only.
There is access to a little "pool" which she is addicted to. Sometimes I use the mister system they have, but is raining too much lately so I can't use it as often as I would like.
She lives with a rooster. And in April I got a new girl (eggs problems were already a thing)

Technically speaking I've been dealing with three vets. One says that there's nothing left to be done. Another says that maybe we are dealing with egg drop syndrome and the way to go is surgery and a third one mentioned hormonal implants and I have no idea what to think anymore.

All comments are really welcome! <3

PD: Her last normal egg was in April 12th.

Attachments

• April 2.jpeg
    April 2.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 6
  • April 15.jpeg
    April 15.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 7
  • June 11.jpg
    June 11.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 7
  • June 14.jpeg
    June 14.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 7
  • March 27.jpeg
    March 27.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 6
  • March 29.jpeg
    March 29.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 6
My girl has been laying abnormal eggs for a few months now. She has laid everything from normal, to weird shape to shell less and even a lashed egg.

She was laying very thin eggs and then one day an egg broke inside her so I rushed to the vet, he cleaned her and gave her antibiotics. Then she went broody and after a week or so, she laid a lashed egg so I gave her antibiotics again.

She was blood tested and xray, there was no obstruction nor anything visible but the liver is a bit swollen and her red cells are low, so we started a treatment with iron and a liver protector (proteliv). She was also tested for calcium and she has a good amount (16).

Technically speaking I've been dealing with three vets. One says that there's nothing left to be done. Another says that maybe we are dealing with egg drop syndrome and the way to go is surgery and a third one mentioned hormonal implants and I have no idea what to think anymore.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen:hugs
She is also laying lash eggs?
Lash eggs or Salpingitis is an inflammation of the oviduct, it can be caused by infection from respiratory disease like Mycoplasma and Infectious Bronchitis or E.Coli.
Egg Drop Syndrome is also caused by a virus.

An implant would hopefully stop her from producing eggs and extend her life since she is having so much trouble. Some had have success with that, but each situation is different. https://poultrykeeper.com/reproductive-system-problems/suprelorin-implant-for-chickens/
Surgery to remove the oviduct would be risky, but a few have had success with that as well. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-luck-with-surgery.1284583/

The liver swelling is concerning as well. Did your vet mention anything about Fatty Liver Disease?

I understand your frustration, but it sounds like you have good vet care, I would take with them about your different options, ask a lot of questions and go from there.

Hello Wyorp Rock!
Sorry for not answering sooner, I didn't saw the notification.

She did laid one lash egg and I gave her antibiotics after that.

Vets didn't mention the fatty liver disease, they only see two options, egg drop syndrome or damaged oviduct.

The vet gave me the price for the implant and I cannot afford that in a long term and also the one doctor that put that implant is one that I had a terrible, terrible experience with so I ran away.

The good news is that the girl started to improve the egg shell quality, she laid three shelless eggs since we start the iron and liver protector treatment but in between those she laid eggs with thin shell. So we have an improvement! Or kind of. The last egg she laid before going broody (thanks God) had a hard shell in 90% of the surface :)

We will go one day at the time.
If the eggs continues soft when she ends her broodiness, then she is going to have chicks the next time so she can have several months of vacations. And then we will see what happens :fl

Back
Top Bottom